The Workforce Safety Specialist is responsible for leading the safety and security planning, implementation and coordination at all facilities. This individual will collaborate with leadership to align safety and security programs across the organization, ensuring risk is identified and mitigated timely. The Workforce Safety Specialist works with employees to ensure they are trained and equipped to manage matters of safety.
Responsibilities of the Position
• Works with respective leaders to ensure all safety and security employment policies and procedures are well maintained and effectively communicated to targeted audiences.
• Ensures all accidents, near-miss incidents and security issues are communicated, reported, and measured to ensure full regulatory compliance.
• Analyzes all safety observations and incident reports to ensure actionable items are noted and proper assignment is given to the appropriate department to complete the necessary item. Conducts frequent follow ups on all actionable items to ensure hazards are mitigated.
• Ensures compliance with relevant federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
• Acts as a resource, advisor and council to site leadership team on safety and security matters.
• Promotes a consistent safety message across all facilities to achieve companywide safety goals and effective employee engagement initiatives.
• Collaborates with center leadership to facilitate routine walk arounds/safety audits PPE audits/checks.
• Works with workers compensation broker to prepare organization for OSHA inspections.
• Co-facilitates Safety Committee meetings with Committee chair and collectively development of the goals and priorities.
o Coordinates routine evacuation plans and drills for each center.
• Workers compensation record management and post-accident reporting to carrier.
• Oversees return to work management for returning employees to work quickly and safely after an injury or illness.
• Partners with HR on all new hire safety orientation, temporary employees as well any volunteer/visitor safety training.
• Collaborates with HR on pre and post-employment background verifications, including DOT clearinghouse and related physicals.
• Provides support to operations on AIB training compliance.
• Works with leadership to buildout physical requirements for certain jobs.
• General OSHA compliance, including Safety Data Sheet (SDS) management.
• Tracks training compliance and documentation across functional areas including forklift operation evaluation and testing and crisis prevention intervention.
• Collaborates with transportation leadership to coordinate annual motor vehicle and DOT Clearinghouse record keeping.
• Collaborates with leadership to provide safety counsel on volunteer engagement and training.
• Partners across leadership to ensure timely cross-functional food safety training.
• Works with respective leadership and external knowledge experts to conduct risk assessments methods and conducts internal audits for anticipating, identifying, evaluating and eliminating hazards. This will include internal audits such as safety observations, monthly Safety Team meetings as well as the development of training content to support organizational needs.
• Associates degree in a technical or related business field or BA/BS
• 2+ years of workplace safety experience, preferably in a distribution environment
• Understanding of current OSHA regulations and all federal, state and local workplace safety laws
• Certified First Aid Responder (CPR and/or EMT preferred)
• Excellent organizational and communication skills
• Ability to develop and conduct training
• Proficient in MS Office programs
• Experience in performing internal and external safety audits
• Bilingual in Spanish preferred, but not required
• Frequently required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl
• Occasionally required to sit and climb or balance
• Specific vision abilities required for this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust and focus.
• Manages all site safety and security activities, trainings and programs
• Safety observations
• Staff education and awareness
• Co-facilitate facility safety meetings monthly
• Maintains accident report and actions
Food Safety Training Responsibilities:
• Hygiene and Sanitation
• Introduction to Food Allergens
• Safe Quality Food (SQF)
• Preventing Foodborne Illness
• Basic Food Facility Security (Operations)
• Overview of HACCP (Food Safety)
• Effective Handwashing Techniques
Northern Illinois Food Bank offers a full benefit package including medical, dental, vision, std, ltd, AD & D, FSA, 401k, etc.
Please apply on our website at: https://solvehungertoday.org/about-us/join-our-team/
Our vision at Northern Illinois Food Bank is for everyone in Northern Illinois to have the food they need to thrive. A 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and proud member of Feeding America, we serve our neighbors in 13 counties with dignity, equity and convenience, providing 250,000 meals a day. We bring together manufacturers, local and corporate grocers, area farmers, corporations, foundations, and individuals who donate food and funding, and each week nearly 1,000 volunteers help us evaluate, repack, and distribute food. We also proudly partner with more than 900 food pantries, soup kitchens, shelters, and youth and senior feeding programs to provide nutritious food and resources. Our distribution centers are located in Geneva, Park City, Rockford and Joliet.