Facts about senior hunger in America
- In 2019, 5.2 million seniors aged 60+ faced hunger. That's 1 in 14 seniors or 7.1% of all seniors.
- 63% of seniors visiting food banks say they have to choose between food and medical care.
- Hunger takes a severe toll on seniors' health and nutrition - putting them at risk for chronic health conditions like depression, asthma, and diabetes.
- Millions of seniors qualify for monthly grocery assistance through SNAP, but only 42% receive SNAP benefits.
- Some seniors are more likely to face hunger, including seniors who identify as Black or Latino, seniors who live in rural areas, seniors with disabilities, and seniors who are renters.