Facts about senior hunger in America
- In the United States, 5.3 million seniors face hunger. That's 1 in 14 seniors.
- 63% of seniors visiting food banks say they have to choose between food and medical care.
- Hunger takes a serious toll on seniors' health - putting them at risk for chronic health conditions like diabetes and high blood pressure and mental health issues like depression.
- Millions of seniors qualify for monthly grocery assistance through SNAP, but only 48% receive SNAP benefits.
- Some seniors are more likely to face hunger, including seniors who identify as Black, Native American, or a person of color and seniors who live in rural areas where grocery stores and transportation aren't accessible.