Feeding New York State (FNYS) leads a unified effort for a hunger-free New York State. We work to end hunger by: supporting the ten food banks of New York State by managing statewide grants; sourcing food for our food banks; fostering relationships with government at all levels; partnering with other anti-hunger organizations to ensure every community in New York state has access to good, healthy food; educating the public on hunger issues; and researching and sharing best practices among food banks.
FNYS operates a statewide Food Waste Rescue Program. This program consists of a call center and guidance program for implementing the New York State Food Scraps Law. Feeding New York State is the lead agency for providing outreach, education and logistics assistance to any food waste generator within New York state.
The Food Rescue Manager is responsible for managing donor outreach and food bank liaison aspects of the program. The Food Rescue Manager is responsible for creating, maintaining and executing a waste reduction strategy that will secure new food donations for member food banks and reduce food waste going to landfills. In addition, the incumbent will guide waste generators to approved waste disposal programs for food waste that will not be donated. This will require the development of strong relationships throughout the food industry as well as serving as the liaison between food banks and food generators. The incumbent will work closely with the Produce Manager and Community Educator to support Feeding New York State’s mission.
This position reports to the Executive Director.
Food Waste Rescue Manager Job Responsibilities:
• Collaborate with Feeding NYS staff and member food bank staff to develop and implement strategic community education plan to provide guidance and resources to ensure the execution of the Food Scraps law
• Facilitation of food generators, small businesses and recyclers & organic digesters food resource donations and food scraps guidance
• Execute the strategic outreach plan by completing presentations, telephone and in-person contacts with potential community partners and DEC identified partners
• Provide information by answering questions and requests
• Coordinate and execute the FNYS Food Scraps Program to include identifying new donor partners and maintaining current donor relationships through regular visits
• Work closely with the member food banks to identify partners that would be a good fit with the Food Scraps Program and ensure consistent reporting
• Provide timely feedback on all concerns regarding the Program
• In collaboration with the Produce Manager, cultivate and maintain donor relationships of non-retail recovery donors, both current and potential
• Support the team effort at all times
• Manage and evaluate the outreach plan, program development, implementation, evaluation and data management
• Assist with development of marketing and outreach materials
• Compile statistical and descriptive information for contract and other reporting requirements
• Represent Feeding NYS in a positive, professional manner at all times
• Maintain confidentiality of all client, staff, volunteer and agency information
• Participate in agency functions as a participant or presenter as needed
• Evening and weekend hours as needed
• Demonstrate absolute integrity at all times
This description reflects the principal functions of the job for the purpose of job evaluation. It should not be construed as a detailed description of all work requirements of the job nor shall be construed as giving exclusive responsibility for every function described.
Education and Experience Requirements
• Bachelor’s Degree in business, marketing, communications or a related field and at least two years of proven work experience or a combination of education and experience that will provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities
• Strong understanding of food quality and food safety standards
• Familiarity with the food industry, familiar with the community and its resources
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Excellent public speaking skills
• Ability to interact effectively with individuals of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and personalities
• Knowledge of appropriate software including: Microsoft Office
• Ability to meet crises calmly, solve problems, show attention to detail and accuracy
• Desire to be proactive and create a positive experience for others
• Ability to work with a minimum of supervision, show initiative, flexibility, work in a team environment, ability to prioritize multiple tasks and work under deadlines
• Valid driver’s license, reliable transportation and current documented automobile insurance
• Full time-40 hours/week Monday-Friday. Occasional evening/weekend hours as needed.
• Extensive statewide travel to meet with food generators and partner food banks
• Hybrid work-from-home/work-in-office will be permitted
• Health benefits
• FNYS Laptop provided
• Paid major holidays during funded period
• Vacation time
Send resume and cover letter to [email protected]
OUR MISSION: To lead a unified effort for a hunger-free New York State. www.feedingnys.org