The Driver position is a key player on the Food Shuttle’s Food Recovery & Distribution Team. Each day, nearly 23,000 pounds of food is recovered from manufacturers, wholesalers, grocery stores, local farmers, restaurants, and other locations. That same day, the food is redistributed to partner agencies and people in need in our community. Drivers are responsible for the pickup and delivery of food and goods. Drivers are often the main person that our food donors see and interact with. And even more importantly, you are the representative of the Food Shuttle that delivers life-sustaining food to people who struggle with hunger. The driver is expected to be professional and customer service oriented.
• Drive Food Shuttle fleet vehicles to pick up food from donors and deliver to partners and program participants.
• Act as positive representative of the Food Shuttle, displaying strong customer service and a friendly demeanor toward all people (donors, program participants, partners, and colleagues).
• Maintain rapport with donors and/or their employees to foster continued support and a professional working relationship.
• Work professionally with volunteers who assist in donor pick-ups and deliveries.
• Perform warehouse duties as assigned. Duties may include and are not limited to cleaning, organizing, loading and unloading trucks, assisting agency partners, building food orders, minor upkeep of vehicles, and other duties as assigned by your supervisor.
• Maintain accurate records and follow procedures regarding sorting, labeling, and weighing all food donated and distributed.
• Inspect product to assure that safety and sanitation standards are met.
• Follow Food Safety and Handling guidelines and maintain food safety certificate.
• North Carolina Class C Driving License and clean driving record.
• Ability to pass a criminal background check.
• A minimum of a high school diploma is required.
• Basic Math skills: Add, subtract, multiply and divide units of weight successfully.
• Position requires extensive lifting, pushing, and pulling.
• Knowledge of Greater Raleigh / Triangle Area of North Carolina a strong plus.
• Preferred professional truck driving experience.
• Customer Orientation: The ability to demonstrate concern for satisfying one’s external and/or internal customers.
• Initiative: Identifying what needs to be done and doing it before being asked or before the situation requires it.
• Fostering Teamwork: As a team member, the ability and desire to work cooperatively with others on a team.
Inter-Faith Food Shuttle Medical Benefits Plan: The Food Shuttle currently contributes 70% of the employee Core Medical Plan, 70% of the employee Dental Plan, and 100% towards the employee's Life Insurance.
• Simple IRA: The Food Shuttle provides a matching contribution equal to 100% of your elective deferrals, up to a limit of 3% of your compensation for the calendar year
• Paid Time Off: Fifteen (15) Paid Time Off (PTO) days annually.
• Paid Holidays: Ten (10) designated paid holidays per year, including 1 floating holiday.
Please send resume and cover letter to [email protected]
Inter-Faith Food Shuttle is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We respect and seek to build a team of individuals from diverse cultures, perspectives, skills, and experiences.
Inter-Faith Food Shuttle pioneers innovative, transformative solutions designed to end hunger in our community. As a member of Feeding America, the Food Shuttle distributes nearly 6 million pounds of food per year, 40% of which is fresh produce. From Senior Grocery Bags, Backpack Buddies and School Pantries; Community Health Education and Mobile Markets; Catering and Culinary Job Training; and Urban Gardening and a 14-Acre Farm; we go directly to the point of need to empower people. We feed, teach and grow to create a healthy and hunger-free North Carolina.
• Long hours driving trucks with up to 26-foot beds
• Warehousing, including coolers and freezers
• Dock operations
• Shipping and receiving
• Operating pallet jacks, manual and electric
• Loading/unloading trucks
• Work off-site during fundraising events, may be after hours and weekends
• Rotating Saturday schedule
• Able to lift 75lbs repeatedly
• Able to load and unload trucks with manual pallet jacks