The CFBNJ is looking for a Food Purchasing Manager to manage, coordinate and execute food purchasing, vendor payments, tracking and product code maintenance. This person will develop a purchasing strategy for a multitude of state and private CFBNJ programs. This includes managing a purchasing budget in excess of $8mm annually. The successful candidate will be responsible for being the liaison with New Jersey food banks on collaborative commodity purchases.
This role will operate out of the Hillside, NJ office and reports to the Director of Network Planning and Distribution.
• Develop and manage the execution for purchasing commodities and program-specific items.
• Manage the execution of the product purchases for Co-Op, SFPP, Kids Café, Summer Feeding, Java Moon, Diabetes, MARC, and Family Pack programs.
• Manage all vendors to ensure metrics are being met.
• Ensure item mix is broad and aligned across all programs when possible.
• Monitor USDA delivery schedule to ensure purchase items do not conflict/overlap.
• Coordinate with internal departments to align inventory, obtain the necessary quality standards and nutritional needs for each product and troubleshoot delivery/receiving issues, when necessary.
• Collect, maintain and analyze relevant data to facilitate excellent execution of job.
• Oversee collaborative purchasing program inclusive of 5 state food banks by leveraging best practice to ensure competitive pricing, quality of items and product assortment.
• Support other Food Sourcing staff and process donation orders as needed.
Essential skills and experience:
• Minimum of 5 years of Food Category Management experience.
• Minimum of 5 years procurement experience in both perishable and non-perishable foods.
• Strong demonstrated oral and written communication skills; ability to present information.
• Nutrition and food safety knowledge desirable.
• Proven track record of successfully working in highly collaborative and matrixed
• ServSafe® training or the willingness to obtain certification; HACCP and AIB experience a plus.
• Must possess personal vehicle and valid driver’s license as some local travel is required.
• Demonstrated knowledge of trends and best practices in the food procurement function.
• Strong negotiation skills.
• Experience in establishing and executing sound business practices including planning and analysis.
• Bachelor’s Degree required.
• MBA desirable.
The Community FoodBank of New Jersey (CFBNJ), a member of Feeding America®, has been delivering food, help and hope across the state for over 40 years. Last year, CFBNJ provided nutritious food for over 55 million meals through its network of more than 1,000 community partners including pantries, soup kitchens, emergency shelters, mobile pantries, and child and senior feeding programs. Accompanying this, CFBNJ also provides vital programming as a frontline defense against hunger, helping families make ends meet and stretch food dollars further to alleviate food insecurity and improve health. For our hungry neighbors, the CFBNJ is the powerful agent of change that fills the emptiness caused by hunger and provides resources that are essential to earning a sustainable living.