Feeding America's Values
At Feeding America, our mission and values define us. The following values help to define who we are and guide the work we do.
People facing hunger are at the center of all we do.
- We strive for equity and work toward solutions to eliminate structural and systemic inequalities that contribute to food insecurity.
- We listen with empathy and respect for one another, valuing individual experiences and feelings while treating people with kindness and dignity.
- We collaborate and build community through partnerships founded on integrity and trust.
- We take care of resources placed in our hands through the generosity of others - food, funds, community and member trust, and employee careers and well being.
- We act with swift and focused purpose, allowing room for mistakes while seeking continuous growth and learning.
Employee Resource Groups
We believe a positive office culture is essential to happy, productive employees. We are committed to elevating voices at Feeding America through our employee resource groups (ERGs). Our ERGs are open to all employees and reflect our company’s diversity.
- Black Employees at Feeding America: This group works to create an inclusive environment for all Black employees through their offerings of educational opportunities, networking, cultural events, and social gatherings.
- Culture of Philanthropy: We work to create an organization-wide understanding and the role that everyone at Feeding America plays in recognizing and stewarding our donor partners.
- Culture Team: The culture team discusses how we can continually improve the culture at Feeding America. They host events throughout the year and works hard to make our office a more inclusive and dynamic place.
- Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Resource Group: The group leads discussions around a range of topics to bring recognition to the intersection of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion have with food insecurity.
- Former Food Bankers: At Feeding America, almost 50 FANO team members previously worked at a food bank. That is more than 220 years of food bank experience at our national office. This group of former food bankers is a great resource for staff, meets quarterly, and is excited to leverage their valuable work at FANO.
- Latinos Unidos en Feeding America: This group helps to promote the heritage of Hispanic or Latin employees by sharing their culture and through their offerings of educational opportunities, networking, cultural events, and social gatherings.
- Ohana at Feeding America (Asian American/Pacific Islander Employees): This group helps to promote the heritage of Asian American/Pacific Islander employees at Feeding America and the Network and advocate for Asian Americans who are experiencing hunger by sharing their culture and through their offerings of educational opportunities, networking, cultural events, and social gatherings.
- Pride+ Progress: This group creates a space of safety, celebration, and equality/equity for FANO staff who identify as LGTBQIA+, and use our experiences to uplift the research and voices of people experiencing food insecurity who identify with the queer community.
- Remote Workers Group: 15% of Feeding America’s employees work remotely (from our Chicago or DC office locations). This group meets to connect, celebrate wins, and discuss challenges with working remotely.
- Wellness Committee: Our wellness committee brings health and wellness initiatives into the office to help improve everyone's well-being and morale.
- Working Parents Group: This group allows parents to connect with one another and share stories and strategies about how to best manage their families and work responsibilities.