A star-studded group of cast and characters from Sony Pictures Animation's Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 will take part in a food packing event today at the Los Angeles Regional Foodbank to help kick-off Hunger Action Month, Feeding America's month long effort to raise awareness of the 49 million people who struggle with hunger in the US.
The event, along with other Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 food packing events being held today in Boston, Detroit, Phoenix and Atlanta, are part of a collaboration between Sony Pictures Animation and some of the nation's leading produce companies to support Hunger Action Month. Together, the produce promotional partners – California Giant Berry Farms, Cal-Organic Farms, Duda Farm Fresh Foods, Grimmway Farms and the National Watermelon Promotion Board – along with Sprouts Farmers Market will provide more than 200,000 pounds of fresh produce to children and families in need across the country through these packing events.
"We had such a great experience with Sony Pictures Animation on the first Cloudy film – not only was it a wonderful opportunity to tie in thematically with a movie, but it was also incredibly successful. We are delighted to re-team in an even bigger way," said Leah Ray, VP of Corporate Partnerships at Feeding America, the nation's leading domestic hunger relief organization. "With 49 million in the US – including nearly 16 million children – at risk of hunger, the fight for hunger-relief continues. This campaign is a great platform for us to spread the word about Hunger Action Month and put more healthy produce on tables across the nation."
At the flagship event in Los Angeles, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 stars Bill Hader, Anna Faris and Will Forte will help spread the word about Hunger Action Month. The donated fruits and vegetables will be distributed to local agencies - such as shelters, pantries and schools - and will help put more fresh produces on tables across the country.
George Leon, Executive Vice President, Global Consumer Marketing, said,"With September being Hunger Action Month, we really wanted to find a way to make a difference and use food to do that. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 is a fun adventure film, but ultimately, it's about an inventor trying to make the world a better place through food. That's why we're thrilled by this kickoff event – it's a great way for us to give back and to tie the message of our movie into a wonderful charitable effort."
Consumers will also have the chance to get involved as well, as the studio is teaming up with a variety of promotional partners in promoting healthy eating and helping those who are food insecure.
- The studio is teaming up with eBay Giving Works! to feature one-of-a-kind charity auction items and experiences tied to the release of "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2". Among the charity auction items is a two-night adventure to Los Angeles for the film's premiere, which includes round trip airfare and hotel along with fare for transportation to and from the premiere event attended by the film's cast and crew. Bidders also have the chance to win a private screening with up to 50 friends and family members in a hometown or nearby theater, as well as original concept art autographed by actors Anna Faris and Bill Hader. Shoppers also have the opportunity to support Feeding America's Hunger Action Month directly by donating a dollar at checkout on eBay.
- As part of the promotion with the produce promotional partners, specially marked packages of participating produce from these growers in supermarkets across the country will be tagged with Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 artwork and a QR code that will link consumers to Cloudy2win.com. There, consumers can find useful information – including recipes, information about the film and about how they can help by making a donation to Feeding America.
- In addition, each purchase of specially marked packages of participating produce will give consumers a gift of a 3D movie upgrade (up to a US$3.00 value), downloadable coloring pages, downloadable screen savers, or a promo code for two 8" x 10" prints from Shutterfly.
- Sprouts Farmers Market will support the campaign and Hunger Action Month in-stores. Customers will have the opportunity to donate at checkout, as well as online. Associates will also wear orange – the color of hunger – to show their support in the fight to end hunger.
- The public can also learn about the issue of hunger and how they can make a difference by watching the Public Service Announcement made possible by the Ad Council. The film hits theaters September 27th.
Please contact one of our media representatives or call 800-771-2303
About Feeding America
Feeding America® is the largest hunger-relief organization in the United States. Through a network of 200 food banks and 60,000 food pantries and meal programs, we provide meals to more than 40 million people each year. Feeding America also supports programs that prevent food waste and improve food security among the people we serve; educates the public about the problem of hunger; and advocates for legislation that protects people from going hungry. Visit www.feedingamerica.org, find us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.
Sony Pictures Animation
Sony Pictures Animation produces a variety of animated and family entertainment for audiences around the world. The studio is following its worldwide comedy hits–the 2012 monster hit comedy Hotel Transylvania, the hybrid live action/animated blockbusters The Smurfs and The Smurfs 2, and the 2009 mouth-watering Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs–with the family comedy Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs 2 in theaters September 2013. Sony Pictures Animation will also release a brand new mini-movie on DVD and television this Fall, The Smurfs: The Legend of Smurfy Hollow. The studio, in conjunction with Aardman Animations, has produced two critically acclaimed feature films: the CG-animated family comedy Arthur Christmas; and the Academy Award® nominated stop-frame animated high-seas adventure, The Pirates! Band of Misfits. In 2007, Surf's Up also received an Academy Award® nomination for Best Animated Feature Film. The division, whose first feature film Open Season led to a very successful movie franchise, turned 10 in 2012. Sony Pictures Animation is an operating unit of Sony Pictures Digital Productions.
About California Giant Berry Farms
California Giant Berry Farms grows and ships over 20 million trays of berries annually (200 million pounds). A privately held company based in Watsonville, California, the company produces strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries and encompasses all aspects of growing, handling and shipping of fresh berries. The management and employees know the future depends on the actions of today and places concerns for the environment, food safety, excellent quality and service at the core of their business. For more information, please visit www.calgiant.com.
About Grimmway Farms & Cal-Organic Farms
Founded in 1968, Grimmway Farms is the largest grower, producer and shipper of carrots in the world. Grimmway Farms is a produce industry leader in organic and sustainable farming practices and has been family owned and operated for over 40 years. Since 1984, Cal-Organic Farms has grown to be a leading grower of organic produce. Family owned and offering a full line of produce year-round, Cal-Organic Farms is a trusted organic choice. For more information about Grimmway Farms and Cal-Organic Farms, please visit www.grimmway.com.
About Duda Farm Fresh Foods
Founded in 1926, Duda Farm Fresh Foods is one of the world's largest celery producers and is a full-service grower, packer, shipper, processor, marketer, importer, and exporter of fresh fruits and vegetables. Duda Farm Fresh Foods is in its fifth generation of family ownership and remains committed to its founding vision of providing fresh, flavorful, quality produce at affordable prices. For more information about Duda Farm Fresh Foods, please visit www.dudafresh.com.
About the National Watermelon Promotion Board
The National Watermelon Promotion Board, based in Orlando, FL, represents 1,500 watermelon growers, shippers and importers. Through research, education and marketing initiatives, the Board is finding new ways to enhance market opportunities for farmers and to promote the nutritional, culinary and convenience benefits of watermelon. For additional information, visit www.watermelon.org.