The House of Representatives will begin to debate the Farm Bill this week. The House proposal would cut SNAP by $20.5 billion over the next 10 years. That's a loss of 8 billion meals or the meal equivalent of the entire Feeding America network of food banks shutting down for 2.5 years. We cannot let this happen.
You can help. Send a message to Congress today as a part of National Call-in Day and spread the word. This is a critical opportunity to demonstrate strong support for SNAP and TEFAP and protect programs that help put food on the table for Americans struggling with hunger.
Reaching your Member of Congress is easy. Here's how:
- Call Feeding America's toll-free hunger action line: dial 866-527-1087.
- Listen to the pre-recorded message and enter your zip code when prompted.
- Once you are connected to your Representative, state that you are a constituent and give your name and the town you are calling from.
- Let him or her know you are calling about the Farm Bill and deliver this important message:
As your constituent, I am asking you to vote against the House Farm Bill due to the cuts to SNAP. With so many families still struggling to put food on the table, it is important to protect and strengthen programs like SNAP and TEFAP. I understand the need to reduce the deficit, but increasing hunger is not the way to do it.
- Spread the word by sharing with your networks and on social media.
Now is the time to protect and strengthen SNAP, not cut benefits for people and families in need. The Farm Bill SNAP cuts would make it difficult for low-income families to access adequate amounts of nutritious food and increase demand on food banks. Learn more about SNAP.
Thank you for your advocacy and leadership!
*While National Call-in Day is Tuesday, June 18, please note that your call at any point this week will help protect SNAP benefits for Americans in need.