Salt Lake City,
It’s a terrible feeling as a mom but it’s a reality. Do you get the medicine? Do you get the fresh food? Do you get the shoes, or do you send them to school in November with sandals?
Brittany wants to give her children everything, but she couldn’t always afford the healthiest food. When the Utah food bank brought fresh produce and dairy to her neighborhood, it helped her family get back on their feet.
Facts about poverty and hunger in America
Even in the world’s greatest food-producing nation, children and adults face poverty and hunger in every county across America.
- In 2018, more than 38 million people are lived in poverty in America. Four a family of four, that means earning just $25,000 per year.
- In 2018, More than 37 million people struggled with hunger in the United States, including more than 11 million children.
- A household that is food insecure has limited or uncertain access to enough food to support a healthy life.
- Children are more likely to face food insecurity than any other group in the United States.
- The coronavirus pandemic has left millions of families without stable employment. More than 54.3 million people, including 18 million children, may experience food insecurity in 2020.