September 1, 2015
Jaime thought she had taken the right steps for a stress-free and successful life. She went to college and got a good job. She got married and had four beautiful children. But when Jamie and her husband split up and she had a career-ending injury, she found extremely difficult to adequately support four growing children. Now Jamie is overwhelmed with the stress of finding a balanced meal for her kids.
Jaime and her family’s story is unique and the same as millions of other Americans who struggle with hunger. She was able to turn to her local Feeding America food bank for support. It’s because of Jaime and the other 49 million Americans who face hunger in our country that Feeding America is launching Hunger Action Month this September.
Hunger Action Month is the month-long effort to engage the nation in the fight to end hunger. The leading domestic hunger-relief organization in the country, Feeding America serves more than 3 billion pounds of food to Americans struggling with food insecurity each year. However, without the help of the public to raise awareness, this crisis is often overlooked
Feeding America hopes everyone who wants to help families, children and seniors who face hunger will join us! There are many simple ways to show your support for your local food bank and community members struggling with hunger in your community.
- Learn More. Hunger affects 1 in 6 people in the United States. It affects every community, race, culture and gender, yet it is often surprising for many to learn just how many of our neighbors and friends are struggling with this issue. Educating yourself and others about how hunger truly affects this nation is a big step towards ending it.
- Spread the word. Hunger Action Month is an awareness campaign and we need support from everyone. Please share this vital information with your friends, family, co-workers and everyone you know. Together we can solve hunger.
- Check out the Map. Most people think that hunger is a problem “over there,” but Americans are struggling with hunger in every county right here in the United States. You can learn about the rates of hunger in your community here.
- Volunteer. Join the thousands of volunteers expected to participate in local food bank activities throughout the United States this month. Learn more about your local Feeding America-member food bank and how you can get involved in the fight to end hunger.
- Share your Story. Consider sharing your experience with hunger. Whether you see a friend or family member struggling with it, work to volunteer at a hunger-relief organization or face it every day.
- Join Spoontember. Spoontember is a new social activation to engage the public and help raise awareness of the 1 in 6 Americans struggling with hunger. You would simply attempt to balance a spoon on your nose – a utensil that is most often used to prepare and provide food for others – and share a ‘soon selfie.’ Then spread awareness about domestic hunger by posting your spoon selfie to social media along with a hunger statistic and challenge your friends and family to do the same. Don’t forget to #Spoontember!
- Follow the movement. Join the conversation on social media as Feeding America, our nationwide network of 200 local food banks and other leaders in hunger-relief bring attention to this crisis. This will be the place for you to find out the many ways to engage in Hunger Action Month and learn more about the struggle so many Americans are facing. Find us at #HungerActionMonth on Facebook and Twitter.
Hunger is an issue that reaches every part of our country, but it’s also a problem that we can see resolved in our lifetime. Join Feeding America in Hunger Action Month this September and be a part of the hope that one day, Jaime and her family will one day not feel the strain that hunger can put on their day-to-day lives. Join Hunger Action Month this September and be a part of the hope that one day, no one will.
*Brittany Banks is a communication manager at Feeding America.
Hunger in the News
, Hunger Action Month