The Volunteer Services Coordinator is responsible for coordinating recruitment, scheduling, and databased management for all volunteer-based operations for Food Distribution, Community Agriculture, Nutrition, and Education in our service counties. Leads virtual volunteer services efforts. Critical to this role are the abilities to build strong partnerships both inside and outside the Food Shuttle and to recruit, place and retain a diverse and energized group of dedicated volunteer resources. The Volunteer Coordinator will work to expand the number of volunteers to ensure that vital Food Shuttle operations are appropriately staffed to meet the organization’s mission and goals.
Planning and Organization
• Assist with identifying, developing and implementing creative strategies and recruitment methods to attract and retain a sufficient pool of volunteer staff to maintain efficient operations as part of a strategic plan. (A detailed recruitment plan will be developed separately.)
• Work with Volunteer Services Manager to develop and update consistent volunteer position descriptions with appropriate responsibilities and requirements.
• Collaborate with Volunteer Services Manager and agency staff to identify needs
• Support Volunteer Services Director in strategic initiatives
• Supervise 1-2 volunteer services interns, as needed)
• Assist the Volunteer Services Manager to target and present to local organizations (civic, religious, corporate, and government) appropriate for services at the Food Shuttle.
• Lead 1-2 agency volunteer engagement initiatives to support volunteer recruitment, recognition, and appreciation efforts.
• Lead virtual volunteer services efforts including specialties initiatives (food drives, or disaster kits, etc) via website and volunteer management system.
Tracking and Evaluation
• Track and collaborate with Program Coordinators and interns to recognize core volunteers.
• Manages scheduling, coordination and record keeping of volunteers for designated programs.
• Prepare volunteer monthly metrics.
Effective Intake, Onboarding and Training
• Supervise and facilitate administration volunteer orientation as needed.
• Assist Volunteer Services Manager with quarterly volunteer engagement training for agency managers and coordinators include volunteer orientations, safety, and risk management.
Development and Communication
• Gather volunteer and youth testimonials for Advancement Department, and Volunteer Services to utilize
Bachelor’s degree in the Agricultural field, nonprofit management, or marketing preferred.
At least 1 year of successful volunteer administration and/ or relationship management.
Strong management and supervisorial skills.
Very strong ability to multi-task and balance projects at various stages simultaneously.
Strong scheduling, follow-up, and interpersonal skills
Excellent communication/public-speaking skills
Computer literacy including Microsoft Office Suites and database management.
Able to solve problems or overcome issues quickly and creatively.
Passionate about eradicating hunger.
Proven ability to work steadily and independently with minimum supervision.
Ability to work positively with a team.
Managing Change: The ability to demonstrate support for innovation and for organizational changes needed to improve the organization’s effectiveness; initiating, sponsoring, and implementing organizational change; helping others to successfully manage organizational change.
Managing Performance: The ability to take responsibility for one’s own or one’s employees’ performance, by setting clear goals and expectations, tracking progress against the goals, ensuring feedback, and addressing performance problems and issues promptly.
Attention to Communication: The ability to ensure that information is passed on to others who should be kept informed.
Forward Thinking: The ability to anticipate the implications and consequences of situations and take appropriate action to be prepared for possible contingencies.
May sit for extended periods during the day. Computer work is expected, with extended hours as needed. Limited warehouse, garden and farm environment is part of the job. Must be able to lift 40 pounds.
• Inter-Faith Food Shuttle Medical Benefits Plan: The Food Shuttle currently contributes 70% of the employee Core Medical Plan, 70% of the employee Dental Plan, and 100% towards the employees Life Insurance.
• Simple IRA: The Food Shuttle provides a matching contribution equal to 100% of your elective deferrals, up to a limit of 3% of your compensation for the calendar year
• Paid Time Off: Fifteen (15) Paid Time Off (PTO) days annually.
• Paid Holidays: Ten (10) designated paid holidays per year, including 1 floating holiday.
Please send resume and cover letter by January 20, 2021, to [email protected]
Inter-Faith Food Shuttle is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We respect and seek to build a team of individuals from diverse cultures, perspectives, skills, and experiences.
Inter-Faith Food Shuttle envisions a hunger free community. We feed our neighbors, teach self-sufficiency, grow healthy food, and cultivate innovative approaches to end hunger. As a member of Feeding America, the Food Shuttle distributes over 8 million pounds of food per year, 26% of which is fresh produce. From Senior Grocery Bags, Backpack Buddies and School Pantries; to Community Health Education and Mobile Markets; Catering and Culinary Job Training; and Community Gardening and a 14-Acre Farm; we go directly to the point of need to empower people and overcome the burden of hunger.
Work is value, goal and deadline oriented with extensive external contact. Regional travel is required for community outreach and recruitment initiative such as presentations at tabling events, faith communities, corporations, etc. Computer wok is expected, with extended hours as needed. Occasional, potentially heavy physical work in the outdoors, in all weather conditions and temperature can be anticipated. This position is operationally based at the Vernon Malone Center but may require frequent meetings and volunteer program supervision at the Child Food Hub in Durham and Agricultural sites.
Volunteer Services Intern