The Volunteer Engagement Coordinator is part of a team responsible for implementing, planning and executing all volunteer engagement events. They will be responsible for recruitment, orientation, scheduling, and training of community volunteers. They work collaboratively with the Volunteer Engagement team and the Organization to provide a high level of customer service. They will demonstrate strong leadership skills, volunteer management, strong communication skills and relationship development skills. This position requires a commitment of 40 hours per week that could include a weeknight and Saturdays.
• Schedule and confirm volunteers registrations, as well as develop and maintain positive volunteer relationships.
• Maintain the volunteer calendar to ensure volunteer sessions and projects are scheduled appropriately.
• Work with the Manager of Volunteer Engagement to develop programs to increase awareness of and commitment to the volunteer program.
• Support Volunteer Engagement team with internal events.
• Execute and manage all volunteers needed for internal/external events (Fresh Trucks, Youth programming, Holiday events, Hunger Walk, Harvest events, other special events.)
• Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of volunteers, volunteer hours, projects and interests.
• Host and lead volunteer orientation sessions, according to the Food Depository’s model.
• Maintain volunteer information in volunteer management database, including entering volunteer demographics, availability, interests.
• Support implementation of volunteer management software system
• Respond to volunteer phone calls, emails and inquiries in a timely and professional manner.
• Other responsibilities as assigned.
• Maintain up-to-date information on the Food Depository website including volunteer needs and opportunities via internal postings and volunteer search websites.
• Connect with community partners, corporate groups, supporters and potential partners to recruit and retain volunteers
• Represent the Food Depository at volunteer recruitment events virtually and within the community.
• Work closely with Operations team to facilitate, manage and support volunteer sessions
• Partner with Community Impact team to support volunteer recruitment for partner agencies
• Collaborate with all staff of the Food Depository to promote a cohesive community and volunteer support
The Volunteer Engagement Coordinator role requires a candidate with the following skill sets:
• Bachelor’s degree or work experience equivalent required
• Minimum of 2 years experience in human services/donor development or working with volunteers.
• Minimum of 2 years project management experience.
• Superior attention to detail.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Excellent public speaking skills and ability to guide large groups.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Proficiency with MS Office- Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams and Outlook.
• Familiarity with database software; CiviCore or other volunteer management systems and Raiser’s Edge a plus.
• Ability to work with multiple groups on projects and prioritize.
• Involvement in community activities as active member or affiliation.
• Physically capable of lifting thirty (30) pounds.
• Excellent communication skills, positivity and enthusiasm for the Food Depository.
• Flexible working arrangement (hybrid schedule of in-office and remote work) available after a successful 90 day evaluation period should the candidate decide to apply for a flexible arrangement
Health, dental and vision insurance coverage
Employer paid life and disability insurance
Employee Assistance Program
403(b) retirement plan
Paid time off
Free onsite fitness classes
Healthy, affordable onsite dining
The Greater Chicago Food Depository, Chicago’s food bank, believes a healthy community starts with food. We are at the center of a network of more than 700 partner organizations and programs – food pantries, soup kitchens, shelters, mobile distributions and other partners – working to bring food, dignity and hope to our neighbors across Chicago and Cook County. The Food Depository addresses the root causes of hunger with job training, advocacy and other innovative solutions. We are a proud member of Feeding America – the national network of food banks. By working to help those most in need go from hungry to hopeful, we truly become a Greater Chicago. Learn more at chicagosfoodbank.org