The Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for supervising volunteers and providing direction, coordination, and consultation for all volunteer functions within Second Harvest Food Bank of East Tennessee.
Recruits and Engages Volunteers for Second Harvest
• Recruits volunteers from the community with varied backgrounds and experiences on an ongoing/as-needed basis for warehouse re-packing, community food distributions, special events, office assistance, and other appropriate tasks.
• Takes primary responsibility for the overall Volunteer Experience at the food bank.
• Connects volunteers with staff and programs needing volunteer support; ensuring volunteers receive appropriate training from their functional supervisor.
• Oversees scheduling of individuals and groups for daily volunteer assignments and special projects via telephone, email, website, and in-person – ensuring timely response to all volunteer inquiries.
• Addresses complaints and resolves problems involving volunteers.
• Responds to requests from corporate or community groups looking for volunteer experiences or projects.
• Promotes Second Harvest and volunteerism by attending outside events as needed.
• Acts as a liaison between volunteers and staff.
• Communicates with volunteers who are not meeting job requirements and addresses performance issues promptly.
• Develops and manages volunteer policies, procedures, and standards of volunteer service.
• Works with Marketing and Communications to publicize opportunities for volunteers.
• Develops and maintains website /relationship with Volunteer East Tennessee.
• Sends confirmation and reminders to volunteers to manage/assist groups before they arrive and upon arrival to provide the best experience and minimize confusion and problems for other visitors
Leads Morale and Recognition Program for Volunteers
• Coordinates volunteer recognition activities.
• Evaluates volunteer satisfaction and volunteer program effectiveness annually and recommend/implement changes as appropriate.
• Ensures meaningful stewardship and recognition of volunteers.
• Maintains communication with volunteers to ensure that volunteers feel appreciated and stay informed.
• Maintains volunteer service descriptions for each volunteer assignment.
• Works with the food bank staff to ensure that the volunteer experience is consistent with food bank goals and expectations of quality.
• Leads planning for annual appreciation event.
Reporting and Storytelling
• Responsible for tracking and reporting volunteer hours in Raiser’s Edge.
• Develops and maintains the food bank’s volunteer manual, volunteer position descriptions, and all other literature pertinent to volunteers.
• Prepares volunteer reports and materials according to established deadlines.
• Documents volunteer stories to help spread awareness and support for the food bank and its volunteer program.
• Guarantees adequate records for volunteers are securely maintained and up to date.
• Assists in all communication activities
• Flexible expectations in meeting a variety of responsibilities throughout the day to ensure the success of Second Harvest Food Bank of East Tennessee.
Education, Training & Experience
A Bachelor’s degree in a human service or business field, or equivalent experience. 2-5 years of experience in the oversight and management of a volunteer program. Experience working in nonprofit or human service organizations is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Comfortable with public speaking and making presentations.
• Excellent organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks and problem solve.
• Adept at facilitating conversations, navigating conflict, and building consensus towards solutions.
• Communicates effectively and respectfully with people from different racial, ethnic and cultural groups and/or different backgrounds and lifestyles; demonstrates a knowledge of and sensitivity to their needs.
• Strong Microsoft Office skills; Teams experience preferred.
• Database management skills
Excellent benefit package: Employee health insurance at a minimal employee contribution plus employer paid employee dental, vision, short term disability, long term disability, life insurance. Dependent coverage available at additional charge. Simple IRA retirement savings plan with employee match. Paid time off. Eleven paid company holidays.
To apply, please fill out our online application and attach your resume at https://jobapps.hrdirectapps.com/applicantform/D5755080562/0
Or go to Secondharvestetn.org and go to the general info page – career opportunities.
Second Harvest Food Bank of East Tennessee, a member of Feeding America, has worked to compassionately feed people facing hunger since 1982. In FY20, Second Harvest distributed 21 million pounds of food across 18 East Tennessee counties. Through feeding programs and 630+ nonprofit partners, Second Harvest Food Bank of East Tennessee provides food to more than 134,000 children, adults, and seniors each month.
Starting pay $16.00 per hour (or dependent on experience)