Fulfill seeks a positive, goal-driven leader for our Vice President of Operations. Reporting to the President and CEO, this position is a key member of our senior management team and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting the organization. The VP of Operations provides leadership and accountability in support of Fulfill’s mission, and is responsible for developing, evaluating and improving Fulfill’s operational capacity, processes and infrastructure to provide exceptional services. The VP of Operations formulates and executes overall operations and food sourcing strategy, with a focus on growing and improving end-to-end supply chain operations, and uses data-driven evaluation metrics to ensure Fulfill meets its programs and services-related impact goals. The successful candidate will oversee distribution center procedures such as traffic flow and scheduling, delivery and transportation, loading dock activity, distribution center organization, quality assurance, food storage and safety; will champion policies and procedures across the organization to promote safety and efficiency; and will be an active team member, leader and coach. The VP of Operations will create a reputation for operational excellence driven by a culture of productivity and continuous improvement.
This is an outstanding opportunity for an operations executive with a proven track record of creative problem-solving, process improvement and change management skills to join a mission-driven organization.
Strategy and Planning
• In collaboration with the President & CEO and members of the senior management team, provides leadership, vision building and strategic guidance in operational areas.
• Researches and analyzes operational trends to support short- and long-term plans and day-to-day problem solving. Implements appropriate measures to enhance outcomes.
• Advocates for efficiency while considering equity, effectiveness, and contribution to the achievement of the overall mission of Fulfill.
• Ensures disaster response and business continuity plans are developed and updated.
• Acts as the staff resource for the Facilities Committee of the Board of Trustees, effectively communicating and presenting critical matters to the Board. Participates in board and committee meetings as requested.
• Develops, in collaboration with the senior management team, operational goals, performance metrics, and budgets, including ongoing review and analyses of activities, costs, operations and forecasts to determine organizational progress towards mission, strategic plan and objectives. Provides reports to CEO, Board and/or others as needed.
Operations & Logistics
• Oversees and coordinates activities within the Operations department to ensure the efficient receipt, storage and distribution of product to meet organizational objectives.
• Oversees and provides strategic leadership to grow all food sourcing activities including retail, wholesale, donated, purchased and government food supplies.
• Encourages and promotes the cultivation of current and prospective food donors to increase the acquisition of donated food.
• Ensures efficient transportation logistics including delivery/pickup routes, as well as the maintenance and management of Fulfill’s vehicle fleet.
• Leads the formulation, implementation, and improvement of organizational policies and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for warehousing, operations, and logistics.
• Continuously evaluates and reviews all operational processes and process improvement plans, generating reports, identifying trends, and interpreting complex operational data.
• Works closely with the Finance department on inventory management, ensuring proper controls are in place to maintain accurate and consistent inventory accountability.
• Engages Facilities Committee of the Board of Trustees to prepare and maintain short, medium, and long-term building and maintenance needs.
• With the VP of Finance and Administration as a key internal business partner, negotiates service contracts including but not limited to: cleaning, pest control, lawn care and snow removal, waste removal, and fleet maintenance and fuel.
• Manages equipment leases of trucks, pallet jacks and forklifts.
• Represents Fulfill at Emergency Management meetings within the communities served, and at public events and meetings at the request of the President & CEO.
Compliance, Safety and Risk Management
• Ensures OSHA, AIB Food Safety, HACCP, Feeding America, USDA and DOT compliance standards are met along with any other federal, state or local codes.
• Collaborates with other staff as necessary to achieve compliance, while making employees, volunteers, and food safety top priorities.
• Oversees proper care of facilities and all vehicles and equipment; ensures preventative maintenance schedules on facilities, equipment and fleet are implemented and ongoing.
• Leads the Food Safety Team ensuring that monthly meetings are held and proper food safety SOPs are documented to comply with Feeding America and AIB standards.
• Ensures a cross-functional Safety Committee meets regularly.
• Partners with Human Resources and Operations team members to identify and remedy safety concerns, champion positive safety practices, and evaluate and implement safety, equipment, and other training needs.
• Ensures that volunteers working in Operations are trained and supervised according to Fulfill’s standards, while also ensuring that safety and customer service are top priorities.
• Ensures all team members are properly trained and certified to use power equipment, including product movement equipment, trucks and other vehicles.
• Manages all areas of sanitation, pest control, fire prevention and safety policies and requirements.
Management and Supervision
• Hires, trains, and motivates a diverse and competent staff committed to the mission and values of Fulfill. Coaches and develops staff to maximize performance, completes performance reviews and makes recommendations to the President and CEO affecting salary and employment decisions.
• Builds and grows the Operations team to support the goals, strategies and desired outcomes of the strategic plan.
• Mentors team members in the establishing metrics to achieve process improvement.
• Manages the Operations department in a fiscally sound manner by ensuring that the appropriate staffing, systems, internal controls, policies and procedures are in place to support mission impact goals.
• Creates opportunities for cross-training and redundancy of skills within the team to ensure business continuity.
• Leads, supervises, and supports the department with diversity, equity, and inclusion as core values.
• A minimum of five years management experience in operational roles required.
• Five years experience with distribution / logistics systems preferred.
• Experience in food distribution preferred.
• Exceptional analytical and organizational skills.
• Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
• Technical aptitude in Microsoft Office (Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and warehouse management software (prior experience with CERES a plus).
• Demonstrated experience in managing people and budgets.
• Reliable transportation and valid driver’s license required.
Compensation and Work Environment
The salary for this position is in the range of $120,000 - $140,000, commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits. Fulfill is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We encourage qualified individuals from all backgrounds to apply for this position. Work is value, goal and deadline-oriented; some travel, driving, walking, standing, bending, lifting and carrying items weighing in excess of 20 pounds; computer work; some extended hours. This position works in a professional office as well as a warehouse environment. To apply, please send your resume to
Fulfill is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Fulfill’s mission is to alleviate hunger and build food security in Monmouth & Ocean Counties and to make sure that all people at all times have access to enough nutritious food to maintain an active and healthy life. Fulfill has an employee base of over 50 employees.
Our headquarters is in Neptune, where this position is primarily based, with a satellite branch (The B.E.A.T. Center) in Toms River.