The Vice President of Finance provides both operational and strategic support to Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano and is responsible for all financial and fiscal resource management activities of the Food Bank. As a key member of the executive team, this position serves as top advisor to the President & CEO and members of the Board of Directors in the areas of budget management, modeling and cost impact analysis, financial evaluation of short-term tactics and long-term strategies, and forecasting. The VP of Finance will ensure that the Food Bank maintains compliance with all State and Federal laws and Feeding America guidelines.
• Lead the financial management of the Food Bank including budgeting, treasury, banking, investments, insurance, tax planning, and real estate.
• Serve on leadership team; develop and direct implementation of strategic business and/or operational plans, projects, programs and systems.
• Provide leadership, coaching and supervision to two direct reports and a total team of 7. Establish annual goals/objectives and conduct on-going feedback and annual performance reviews.
• Establish and implement short- and long-range departmental/division goals, policies and procedures.
• Serve as staff lead to engage the board finance/oversight committee in concert with the Board Treasurer and support the audit committee.
• Lead the finance and accounting function to ensure proper management of all accounting systems, transaction processing and approvals, account maintenance and data entry. Oversee preparation of financial statements, analyses, predictive models and statistical reports.
• Oversee contracts with government agencies and others to ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations in securing and expending grant funds.
• Establish and maintain appropriate risk management oversight, internal controls, conservation of assets, and business continuity plans.
• Represent the organization to financial partners, including financial institutions, donors, auditors, public officials, etc.
• Obtain and maintain necessary business licenses and tax exemptions.
• Represent Food Bank to other Feeding America food banks, other nonprofits and donors.
• All other duties as assigned.
• CPA, MBA or related formal training in finance, business/management, preferred and 10+ years’ leadership experience in finance or business administration required. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
• Experience in a senior financial-management role, partnering with executive staff, resulting in the development and implementation of creative financial management strategies.
• Minimum of 5 years of creative and inspired leadership experience supervising senior managers and driving innovation both within a department and across an organization.
• Significant experience in or knowledge of nonprofit accounting, including fund and grant accounting, compliance and reporting including OMB audits, OMB Circular A133.
• Experience managing cash budgets of approximately $20 million and overseeing $45 million of annual donated inventory activity.
• Exceptional strategic thinking and problem-solving skills with highly developed interpersonal and coaching skills and the ability to build collaborative, trust-based relationships inside and outside FBCCS.
• Strong knowledge and proficiency of Accounting software, Payroll software, and MS Office Suite.
• Cares deeply about people development and commits time and energy to coaching, mentoring, and developing team members; delivers feedback effectively and respectfully.
• Possesses cultural competence and recognizes the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion; is diplomatic, comfortable with ambiguity, and thrives in dynamic, hard-working environments.
• Ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight timeframes; proven capability to balance several projects and meet deadlines.
• Interest in and commitment to the mission of the Food Bank.
• Ability to frequently lift and/or move up to 15 pounds.
• Ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends.
• Valid California Driver’s license and insurable driving record (personal vehicle not required).
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive and extensive benefits package including health, dental, and vision, life insurance, flexible spending account, 403(b), and paid leave to eligible employees. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment for our employees, where people can learn and grow with the company. We strive to provide an inclusive, collaborative, and creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
Please send your resume and any supporting documents to [email protected] with the subject line: “Vice President of Finance”. Email submission is preferred.
Or by mail to:
Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano
Attn: Human Resources
4010 Nelson Avenue
Concord, CA 94520