JOB TITLE: Transportation Manager, Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director of Operations
SUPERVISES: Dispatch Supervisor, Drivers, Mechanic, Receiving staff
JOB SUMMARY: Manages all daily transportation activities and the local product donation process as well as inbound receiving processes.
1. Lead team effectively including assigning daily work, cross-training employees and developing staff.
2. Manages all aspects of transportation and receiving, including but not limited to supervision of departmental staff, departmental budgets, equipment acquisition and necessary reports, etc.
3. Develop, maintain and analyze departmental metrics.
4. Continuous improvement through monitoring results, analyzing trends and recommending improvements.
5. Liaison with other departments in the coordination of all transportation and receiving activity.
6. Ensure appropriate compliance with all federal, state and local regulations.
7. Design and oversee safety and training programs for all departmental staff.
8. Oversee the utilization of technology within the department to maximize effectiveness and efficiency
9. Provide adequate systems of quality assurance to ensure a high level of internal and external customer satisfaction within the department.
10. Ensure that all food safety requirements are complete and kept up on.
11. Other duties as assigned.
OTHER ASPECTS OF THE JOB:
1. Able to effectively communicate and interact with coworkers, managers and customers/clients.
2. Demonstrate a commitment to the mission and values of Harvesters.
3. This position functions in an office and warehouse environment and requires travel within the service area and possibly bi-state and national travel. It requires the use of general office equipment such as telephone, computers, adding machines, calculators, fax and copiers and extensive walking across the warehouse and back and forth to the office. Incumbent will spend 25% of the time in a warehouse environment, 35% of the time stationary working at a computer terminal and 40% of the time talking on the telephone.
4. This position requires an understanding of all Harvesters food safety policies and compliance with all food safety related procedures.
1. Required Experience
• Minimum 5 years in transportation and fleet management preferably in a food industry setting
• Excellent customer service skills
• computer literacy
• excellent verbal and written communication skills
2. Preferred Experience
• 2-3 years in a supervisory role
• CDL licensed truck driver
• volunteer work
3. Required Education
• College degree
Full Time position with paid medical, dental and vision insurance for the employee.
Harvesters’ mission is to feed hungry people today and work to end hunger tomorrow.
We are a regional food bank serving a 26-county area of northwestern Missouri and northeastern Kansas. Harvesters provides food and related household products to more than 760 nonprofit agencies including emergency food pantries, community kitchens, homeless shelters, children’s homes and others. We also offer education programs to increase community awareness of hunger and teach about good nutrition.
Harvesters' main facility is located in Kansas City, Missouri at 3801 Topping Ave. Harvesters also operates a second facility in Topeka, Kansas at 215 E. Quincy St.
Harvesters is a certified member of Feeding America, a nationwide network of more than 200 food banks. In 2011, Harvesters was Feeding America’s Food Bank of the Year. We are a registered 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.
Harvesters also is a regional disaster-relief staging site for Feeding America. We are prepared to distribute food, water and cleaning supplies to disaster sites on short notice.