Place in Organization: Reports to Director of Strategic and Legacy Gifts
The Senior Development Officer, Strategic Gifts is responsible for managing a portfolio of qualified prospects with capacity to make major gifts to the Food Bank. Responsibilities will include identifying prospects, developing individual donor strategies, meeting face to face and soliciting prospects and working cross functionally across organization to understand the funding needs of all departments. In addition, the Development Officer will coordinate the marketing of the Food Bank’s legacy giving program and will assist in planning outreach efforts for the Tomorrow’s Harvest Society.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Actively manage a portfolio of current and potential individual donors (i.e. $5000+)
• Through research and best practices, identify, cultivate and solicit individuals for general operating support, program support and endowment, rooted in our organizational case for support
• Monitor and analyze portfolio performance
• In conjunction with Strategic Gifts team, prepare proposals, solicitation letters and stewardship reports
• Collaborate with the Individual Giving Team to thank and steward individual donors
• Solicit gifts from major donors and prospects, both independently and working collaboratively with CEO, Board Members, and other Food Bank volunteers and staff.
• Assist team with developing budget, goals, and performance measures for building the strategic gifts program and analyzing results.
• Serve as coordinator of marketing efforts to promote legacy gifts by planning and preparing communication and events for prospects and current members of the Tomorrow’s Harvest Society.
• Perform other duties and participate in special projects as needed.
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
• At least five years of successful experience in fundraising specifically from individuals, including major and planned gifts. Experience with campaigns preferred.
• The ideal candidate should have successful experience in developing cultivation and solicitation strategies and analyzing results of fundraising initiatives.
• Experience participating in a Move Management/Prospect Review process, including pipeline development and measuring success.
• Must have excellent written and verbal communication and listening skills, writing samples may be requested.
• Must have excellent interpersonal skills and eager to build major donor relationships.
• Self-starter, energetic and a demonstrated record of completing assignments.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail are required.
• Proficiency with MS Office and Raiser’s Edge preferred.
• Able to handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately and with discretion
Full Benefits Package including; Medical, Dental, Vision, STD/LTD, Life Insurance, PTO, 401k and more
Northern Illinois Food Bank – a proud member of Feeding America – is the source of nutritious food, innovative feeding programs, and hope for more than half a million people every year. As a 501©3 non-profit organization with a goal of solving hunger in our 13-county service area, we rely on generous donors, volunteers, and community partners – the local food pantries and feeding programs, food manufacturers and retailers, companies, foundations, and individuals who join with us in our vision for no one to be hungry in Northern Illinois.