The Programs Director is responsible for the leadership and direction of the Food Bank’s Programs department staff in the execution of their duties to achieve the organization’s mission, goals and objectives. The successful candidate will be an effective coach and developer of talent and will support a positive and productive internal culture. They will exhibit innovative entrepreneurial skills with a deep passion for service and a strong desire to connect and collaborate with community partners across Northern California. Experience in assessing community needs, growing and innovating programs to achieve scale, and creating and implementing strategic initiatives to create a sustainable social enterprise is necessary.
Current programs include Senior Food Program, Food Assistance Program, Food for Children, Farm 2 Kids, Extra Helpings, Community Produce Program, Cal Fresh (Food Stamp) Outreach, School Pantry Program, Harvest to Home, Mobile Food Pharmacy, Commodity Supplemental Food Program, food pantries and other agencies that receive food from the Food Bank.
• Establish and maintain positive relationships with government and foundation funders.
• Allocate the grants for Emergency Food and Shelter funding and special grant food purchases.
• Advise the Accounting Department regarding budgets and reporting requirements for programs and grants related to food distribution and information dissemination.
• Coordinate food purchasing for grant funded food purchases.
• Coordinate communication to stakeholders, agencies, and Programs staff regarding legislation that will impact the Food Bank’s work.
• Collaborate with Operations Director on disaster preparedness and response.
• Oversee the Food Bank’s work around the CalFresh Able Bodied Adults without Dependents (ABAWD) rule.
• Assist the President & CEO with oversight of Partner Distribution Organizations (PDO), cluster and/or hub and spoke administration.
• Set agendas, schedule, and facilitate the Board Program Committee meetings.
• Coordinate the execution of the Hunger Study every four years.
• Coordinate the holiday basket program.
• Coordinate representation at community meetings (Families CAN, Healthy and Active Before 5, Food and Nutrition Network of Solano County, CC HIV/AIDS Consortium, Mobility LABs, CalFresh Partnership).
• Complete required reports for government funders and host monitoring visits.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree and 5-7 years of experience in program development and administration. A minimum of 5 years of direct supervisory experience in position of leadership required. Budget preparation, planning and management experience including government grants strongly preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
• Proven track record working in a collaborative team environment with people of diverse backgrounds and circumstances.
• Strong knowledge of project management principles including development and coordination of plans, communication, collaboration, budget, and time management.
• Self-starter with strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and creative problem solving.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills; experience writing creative and impactful communication that inspires donors to give.
• Experience evaluating processes and making strategic recommendations to increase effectiveness.
• Ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced, deadline driven role.
• Valid CA driver’s license and insurance and ability to be covered under the Food Bank’s auto insurance policy.
• Significant level of proficiency with MS Office. Must be competent working with Google docs. Familiarity with inventory software is a plus.
• Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends, as needed.
• Frequently lift and/or move up to 15 pounds.
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive and extensive benefits package including health, dental, and vision, life insurance, flexible spending account, 403(b), and paid leave to eligible employees. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment for our employees, where people can learn and grow with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
Please send your resume and any supporting documents to [email protected] with the subject line: “Programs Director.” Email submission is preferred.
Or by mail to: Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano, Attn: Human Resources,
4010 Nelson Ave, Concord, CA 94520