The Nonprofit Controller with NetSuite and Inventory experience is a mature and polished professional leader with 6-8 years of supervisory experience in finance operations, ideally with a minimum of three years of public accounting audit experience, followed by experience gathering, evaluating, and reporting financial information to multiple departments. Food Bank For New York City has complex program offerings and diverse funding sources, including state, federal, corporate, and foundation funding. The ideal candidate is highly ethical and committed to transparency, exceptional work quality, and standards. Strong team management experience is key to being successful in this role. The Controller will ensure that Food Bank For New York City has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation and conduct flawless audits.
· Responsible for directing day-to-day accounting functions and maintaining the accuracy and completeness of the financial records and the timely recording of all financial transactions, including payroll, disbursements, pledges, cash receipts, inventory, capital acquisitions, investment-related activity and necessary accruals and adjusting journal entries.
· Maintains all records in compliance to generally accepted accounting principles, organization’s accounting principles, policies and procedures, internal financial controls and initiatives.
· Maintains internal controls including that of inventory, procurement, payroll, receipts, disbursements and other processes.
· Responsible for the preparation of all inventory reports including reconciled inventory valuation, and external inventory reporting.
· Oversees accounting team, budget preparation, audit function, insurance claims and data integrity.
· Reviews financial reports to analyze projections of budgeted revenue and expenses against actual totals.
· Meets regularly with Leadership team members to review and forecast their department’s financials.
· Conducts a monthly review and reconciliation of general ledger accounts, including detailed analyses of balance sheet, revenue and expense accounts to ensure accurate and timely reporting.
· Oversees use of financial management systems and ancillary systems is compliant with internal control procedures. Oversee maintenance and enhancements of systems and maximize the efficient use for increased productivity
· Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; monitor progress and changes against budget
· Ensures proper allocation of shared costs
· Supervises the monitoring and remittance of employee benefits, including filing annual Form 5500 and administering vacation and other paid time-off policies
· Performs internal audits and assess effectiveness of internal controls
· Coordinates annual financial audit including Single Audit and provide auditors with necessary information for completion of Form 990 and NYS CHAR500. Provide necessary information for the completion of state charity registrations
· Performs a review and approval of bi-weekly payroll data changes to ensure accuracy before final processing of payroll.
· Reviews all vouchers, accounts payables/receivables, journal entries, and checks before final reviews by the CFO
· Supervises a staff of 4 direct reports
· Conducts other analysis, duties and special projects as assigned
Strategic Analysis, Planning and Management Reporting
· Assists CFO in the preparation of annual budget, and monitor actual activity of progress compared to budget including performance against success indicators
· Prepares and update short-term and long-term cash flow projections
· Directs preparation of internal monthly financial reports and oversee variance reporting
· Oversees the grant and contract reporting
· Performs trend analysis
· Provides leadership of team results for high performance, morale and excellent customer/client service
· 6-8 years of experience as a Controller
· Public accounting experience with a minimum of 3 years audit experience required
· Minimum of three years of supervisory experience
· Experience with inventory control
· Solid experience coordinating audit activities, managing reporting to multiple departments, budget development and analysis
· Experience serving as an advisor to high-level constituencies such as executives
· Experience conducting training of finance and budgeting to non-finance staff
· Excellent understanding of the role that finance, budgeting and forecasting methods support and lead to the growth of operations
Highly motivated, innovative, independent and organized self-starter
Emotionally mature and confident, with good judgment and a sense of humor
Unquestioned integrity with the ability to inspires the trust of executives and staff at all levels
Effective listening skills with intellectual curiosity
Keen analytic and problem-solving skills which allows for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting
Dedicated to proactive problem-solving and outstanding communication with staff, peers and leadership and Board
Discretion and ability to handle confidential matters.
Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers
Rock solid integrity and ability to manage difficult situations with professionalism and tact.
Ability to interact with individuals at all levels of the organization and across multi-cultural and generational backgrounds
Experience with or knowledge of social service/hunger issues a plus.
Strong management, supervisory, communications and interpersonal skills
Possesses a demonstrated skill at conflict resolution
Excellent organizational skills with high attention to detail and follow-through
Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations; advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software
Able to work in partnership with a strong leader, results-oriented management and a committed staff in a fast-paced environment with high standards and expectations
Able to act with a sense of urgency and turn things around quickly
Demonstrated commitment to continuous process improvement
Demonstrated commitment to Food Bank For New York City’s mission and values
· Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in accounting and/or finance
· CPA Completion and/or MBA Degree Completion preferred
Excellent Compensation and Benefits Package
Thank you for your interest! Please kindly submit your cover letter including your salary expectations. Please also attach your most recent resume and send all materials to [email protected]
For almost 40 years, Food Bank For New York City has been the city’s major hunger-relief organization working to end hunger throughout the five boroughs. Nearly one in five New Yorkers relies on Food Bank for food and other resources. Food Bank takes a strategic, multifaceted approach that provides meals and builds capacity in the neediest communities, while raising awareness and engagement among all New Yorkers. Through its network of more than 1,000 charities and schools citywide, Food Bank provides food for more than 61 million free meals per year for New Yorkers in need. Food Bank For New York City’s income support services, including food stamps (also known as SNAP) and free tax assistance for the working poor, put more than $110 million each year into the pockets of New Yorkers, helping them to afford food and achieve greater dignity and independence. Food Bank’s nutrition education programs and services empower more than 50,000 children, teens and adults to sustain a healthy diet and active lifestyle on a limited budget. Working toward long-term solutions to food poverty, Food Bank develops policy and conducts research to inform community and government efforts. To learn more about how you can help, please visit foodbanknyc.org. Follow us on Facebook (FoodBank4NYC), Twitter (@FoodBank4NYC) and Instagram (FoodBank4NYC).