The Marketing Communications Specialist collaborates across the organization and within the Marketing and Events team, with a focus on social media strategies, to promote our work and raise the visibility of the Food Bank. Responsible for developing materials and compelling content, including stories about our programs, neighbors, volunteers, member agencies and donors.
• Manage social media channels by maintaining the social calendar, scheduling posts, and compiling reports of engagement metrics. Provide monthly social media reporting to leadership.
• Grow the food bank audience of supporters and donors across all social media channels by creating engaging content including narratives, image-centric posts, video, cross-posting and infographics for use with events, campaigns and other activities.
• Work cross-functionally to develop and maintain social media calendars that align with philanthropy, programs, advocacy, volunteer events, and more to ensure the Food Bank’s target audiences receive engaging content and meet interdepartmental objectives.
• Gather, write and compile stories about the Food Bank and its programs, neighbors, donors, and volunteers for internal and external use. Stories should represent the Food Banks diverse demographic across the 13-county service area and assist with donor cultivation;
• Along with story collection, responsible for arranging professional photography and videography of the Food Bank and its programs.
• Maintain and keep updated story and visual asset platform. Compile and save stories, photos and video for staff at the Food Bank to share
• Develop and provide resources, internally and with outside design firms, including key updates on Food Bank’s programs, messaging and campaigns.
• Ensure content is on-brand, with a consistent style, quality, tone and within brand guidelines.
• Provide copywriting, creative support, design, and layout for print materials including: brochures, annual reports, talking points, fact sheets, information brochures, presentations, event promotion, and program/volunteer/Board materials.
• Help manage the graphics, photography and video vendors for a variety of channels, including website, blog, social media, newsletters, and reports.
• Create and execute Northern Illinois Food Bank’s employee newsletter and maintain slideshow presentations used for employee audiences.
• Assist human resources with messaging and presentations for speakers at the quarterly town hall event or other employee events.
• Work with Human Resources to develop targeted internal and external marketing collateral as it relates to building our employer brand and market to current and potential workforce.
Required Education, Skills, and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, journalism or similar field or equivalent experience.
• Minimum one year of hands-on, related experience
• Strong writer, familiar with AP Style and journalistic skills (writing test may be administered).
• Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills. Comfortability interviewing diverse groups of people.
• Attention to detail and excellent proofreading skills necessary.
• Ability to work on a multitude of projects simultaneously, set priorities and meet deadlines.
• Ability to adapt to changing priorities.
• Strong computer skills including: proficient in Microsoft Office suite
• Additional computer skills considered an asset: Hootsuite and design capabilities a plus.
• Bilingual in Spanish is a plus.
Full benefit package including medical, dental, vision, STD and LTD. Matching in the 401K plan.
Please apply via our website: https://solvehungertoday.org/about-us/join-our-team/
Who We Are
Our vision at Northern Illinois Food Bank is for everyone in Northern Illinois to have the food they need to thrive. A 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and proud member of Feeding America, we serve our neighbors in 13 counties with dignity, equity and convenience, providing 250,000 meals a day. We bring together manufacturers, local and corporate grocers, area farmers, corporations, foundations, and individuals who donate food and funding, and each week nearly 1,000 volunteers help us evaluate, repack, and distribute food. We also proudly partner with more than 900 food pantries, soup kitchens, shelters, and youth and senior feeding programs to provide nutritious food and resources. Our distribution centers are located in Geneva, Park City, Rockford and Joliet.