Under the supervision of the Associate Director of Volunteer and Marketing Engagement, the Volunteer Manager will be responsible for the Volunteer Engagement Team. The position is also responsible for ensuring proper documentation of appropriate volunteer information within the organization's database as well as overseeing volunteer reporting data to analyze growth and opportunities for improvement. The Manager of Volunteer Engagement will also manage corporate partner volunteer group activities. This position requires a commitment of 40 hours per week that could include weeknights and Saturdays.
• Cultivate and strengthen our volunteer engagement community with individuals, community groups, and corporations to align with the Food Depository’s mission.
• Ensure the coordination of volunteer activities, orientations and trainings.
• Manage Volunteer Advisory Committee; schedule of meetings, minutes, agenda
• Build upon recruitment strategy to encourage current and new volunteers to participate in volunteer sessions.
• Create and manage volunteer opportunities within the organization and with partner agencies.
• Initiate, manage, design and implement any volunteer recognition efforts, year-round and during National Volunteer Appreciation month
• Build relationships with a network of Volunteer Managers through Feeding America and Food Banks across the country.
• Participate in community outreach to support staff with recruitment efforts.
• Other duties assigned.
• Manage, cultivate and increase corporate relationships and all aspects of corporate group volunteer activities.
• Seek local and national corporate relations and partners to engage in Food Drive activities
• Cultivate and steward corporate partnerships to encourage social responsibility and volunteer events.
• Manage donor relations in coordination with the Volunteer Engagement and Corporate foundation and giving teams
Database Management and Analytics:
• Analyze and support the preparation of monthly and annual reports.
• Create and analyze new reports that will support ongoing volunteer efforts.
• Manage relationship with data base vendor.
• Familiarity with database software; Volunteer management software and Raiser’s Edge a plus.
• Proficiency with MS Office- Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Teams.
• Manage Volunteer Engagement revenue and expense budget
• Track all volunteer engagement-related donations; Dip-Jar, corporate volunteer events, etc.
• Manage staff of four Volunteer Coordinators.
• Maintain and update volunteer engagement staff schedule.
• Track and manage team and individual staff goals to ensure timely completion.
• Provide leadership, motivation and constructive feedback to staff.
• Manage the daily tasks in the absence of team members, i.e. volunteer orientation, volunteer check-in and session management.
• Partner with Cause Marketing and the Food Drive teams on the execution of food shows.
• Serve as an execution partner to the Cause Marketing Manager on key cause initiatives.
• Collaborate with the Development teams on partnership opportunities and relationship stewardship.
• Work closely with Operations and Transportation teams to manage repack sessions
• Collaborate with all staff of the Food Depository to promote a cohesive community and volunteer support.
The Manager of Volunteer Engagement role requires a candidate with the following skill set:
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Minimum of 3 years’ experience in the management of volunteers.
• Minimum of 3 years’ project management experience.
• Superior attention to detail.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Excellent public speaking skills and ability to guide large groups.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to work with multiple groups on projects and prioritize.
• Physically capable of lifting thirty (30) pounds.
• Demonstrated positive attitude and enthusiasm for the Food Depository.
Health, dental and vision insurance coverage
Employer paid life and disability insurance
Employee Assistance Program
403(b) retirement plan
Paid time off
Free onsite fitness classes
Healthy, affordable onsite dining
The Greater Chicago Food Depository, Chicago’s food bank, believes a healthy community starts with food. We are at the center of a network of more than 700 partner organizations and programs – food pantries, soup kitchens, shelters, mobile distributions and other partners – working to bring food, dignity and hope to our neighbors across Chicago and Cook County. The Food Depository addresses the root causes of hunger with job training, advocacy and other innovative solutions. We are a proud member of Feeding America – the national network of food banks. By working to help those most in need go from hungry to hopeful, we truly become a Greater Chicago. Learn more at chicagosfoodbank.org