The Major Gift Officer is responsible for thoughtfully managing a portfolio of individual major donors from identification, cultivation, engagement, solicitation, and stewardship, initially focusing specifically on donors who gave for the first time during the COVID-19 pandemic. The Major Gift Officer is a front-line relationship manager who creates detailed plans and strategies to connect with Connecticut Foodshare supporters. They use known data and engage in robust research to analyze their portfolio and create innovative outreach resulting in strong donor retention and increased giving. They are data-driven and regularly analyze trends within their portfolio and strategize with Giving Team members to find and engage new donors to the organization. This position will report to the Senior Director of Strategic Giving.
• Oversee a portfolio of major donors, specifically focusing on new-to-the organization donors and identifying opportunities for increased and innovative giving.
• Works in partnership with the Senior Director of Strategic Gifts, the Chief Giving Officer, and the CEO to prepare meeting materials and participate in meetings with major donors and prospects.
• Work effectively with other members of the Strategic Giving and the broader Giving team to create compelling content and participate in events to raise revenue and promote the mission of the organization.
• Capture all relevant donor data into Raiser’s Edge to help the organization meet budget goals.
• Use data to strategize and prioritize donors based on giving capacity and opportunities to further engage for the benefit of the food bank.
• Effectively manage donor relationships to the organization, through information discovery and dissemination of information to donor facing members of the team.
• Diligently track donor engagement and produce regular progress reports tracking progress towards goals.
• Develop key messaging for major donors and other funders.
• Work with the members of the Strategic Giving Team, to analyze giving trends and implement timely communication and engagement plans.
• Effectively collaborate with other members of the Giving Team on key projects and to maximize opportunities with donors.
• Partner with other members of the Connecticut Foodshare team to gather pertinent information to strengthen donor relationships to the organization.
• Work in partnership with the Senior Director of Strategic Giving, Chief Giving Officer, Philanthropy Officer and CEO to identify key prospects for increased asks/engagement.
• Identify new prospects, then cultivate and successfully solicit and acquire them for major gift donations. Present Connecticut Foodshare at events to help promote the mission of the organization.
• Assist with other fundraising projects and fundraising events as assigned by the Senior Director of Strategic Giving, Chief Giving Officer, Philanthropy Officer and CEO as needed.
Assist in the development of cross-functional projects that may involve select assigned donors.
Support Connecticut Foodshare’s mission to lead an informed, coordinated response to hunger through the distribution of food, education and involvement of the public. Support and be involved in community awareness, fundraising, volunteer recruitment, and volunteer engagement in the functions of this position.
In all duties, be responsible for cost-efficient operations.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
• Minimum 5 years fundraising experience in soliciting and closing gifts of $5,000 and above with a proven track record of developing relationships and community contacts is preferred.
• Strong writing and oral presentation skills are required
• Experience in the non-profit sector (including volunteer work) is preferred.
• Familiarity with Microsoft Office programs required.
• Proven knowledge of moves management and tracking donor contacts in a CRM database.
• Excellent project management skills to consistently deliver quality results on deadline.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Comfortable with presenting gift proposals to individuals and groups with proven success in closing major gifts
• Ability to work with people from a variety of backgrounds.
Connecticut Foodshare offers a generous benefits package.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to Human Resources:
Connecticut Foodshare is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
Connecticut Foodshare maintains a drug-free workplace.