Harry Chapin Food Bank seeks an enterprising Major Gift Officer to join the major gifts team within the Development Department. The Major Gifts Officer will primarily work to secure five-figure gifts from individual donors and prospects to support our mission primarily in Lee and Charlotte counties. Working closely with and reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Major Gift Officer will play a key role in our work to expand and strengthen philanthropic support for the food bank
As the Major Gifts Officer, you will be responsible for identifying, researching, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding individuals capable of making major and planned gifts over $10,000 to support the mission of the food bank. The Major Gift Officer maintains a portfolio of individuals and family foundations and is called upon to engage and collaborate with Harry Chapin Food Bank Board members, team members, and volunteers. The Major Gift Officer must be able to passionately communicate the mission, values, and scope of the organization to ensure that the food bank has the gift revenue stream to achieve our mission to lead our community in the fight to end hunger.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Build and expand the engagement of Harry Chapin Food Bank’s mid-level prospect pool; identify strategies and opportunities to align prospects with various food distribution programs
• Qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of current and prospective mid-level donors; create written strategic action plans for top prospects with the intent of deepening relationships on behalf of the food bank, leading to increased comprehensive giving including annual and deferred gifts
• Develop and maintain a thorough understanding of the food bank’s strategic priorities and goals
• Manage proactively a portfolio of individual donors and prospects seeking gifts in support of the food bank’s priorities at $10,000 and above in Lee and Charlotte counties
• Attain an annual visit goal of 80 and achieve annual personal and team revenue goals
• Closely collaborate with the Chief Development Officer in defining and executing team cultivation strategy, particularly as it relates to major donors (develop unique cultivation and stewardship opportunities and participate in broader donor cultivation events) and innovation in the field
• Partner with colleagues in the Development Department to effectively devise appropriate donor-centered giving vehicles, follow up on requests for information, and provide stewardship to Harry Chapin Food Bank Legacy Society members
• Create opportunities to engage the President and CEO, Board members, CDO, volunteers, and food bank team members in the cultivation and, where appropriate, the solicitation of current and potential donors
• Participate in the execution of events and programs in support of development activities; engage key volunteers and effectively utilize events and other activities to move solicitations forward
• Conduct appropriate stewardship activities to further enhance the relationship between assigned donors and Harry Chapin Food Bank; initiate and maintain contact to promote positive donor relations
• Qualify prospects for potential major gift capacity and interest; provide appropriate background on prospects to be assigned to major donor portfolios
• Maintains current, detailed, and accurate records in Bloomerang database, electronic files on the Development shared drive, including all moves management activities
• Conveys importance of the food bank’s mission and value to the world community to potential grantors and other prospective funders
• Adhere to Harry Chapin Food Bank expectations and values:
o Be active by moving quickly, getting things done and holding self and others accountable for results.
o Be constructive by providing solutions, displaying optimism, being respectful and fair.
o Be truthful by providing facts to support opinions, speaking up and not exaggerating.
o Humanize Hunger by putting a human face on it.
o Communicating in a professional, honest and open manner.
o Take time to have fun along the way.
o Believe in our mission and impact.
• Honesty, integrity and commitment to fighting hunger in Southwest Florida.
• Ability to relate effectively with other staff, volunteers, agency representatives and the general public.
• Must have clear understanding of and ability to articulate the mission of Harry Chapin Food Bank.
• Ability to complete work in an accurate, effective and timely manner.
• Ability to handle high volume of work in short periods.
• Ability to perform physical labor as necessary to assist in achieving Harry Chapin Food Bank mission.
• Valid Florida Driver’s License.
Specific to Position
• Bachelor of Arts or Science degree, plus 3-5 years of related experience (not including internships). CFRE preferred.
• Knowledge of fundraising strategies with an emphasis on experience soliciting and closing major gifts.
• Understanding of moves management systems and ability to think and work strategically.
• Proven track record of success in growing a comprehensive major gifts program that meets measurable goals and objectives.
• Outstanding organizational skills; initiate and complete multiple tasks on time with competing priorities and deadlines.
• Outstanding interpersonal skills and judgement to represent the food bank; develop and maintain effective relationships with donors, prospects, while maintaining appropriate confidentiality.
• Ability to establish goals and action plans and to work effectively and collaboratively as part of the team to achieve goals.
• Strong self-motivation and high level of professionalism.
Life, health, dental, vision, short term disability, and long term disability insurance.
Generous paid time off benefits 401k plan, tuition reimbursement and bonuses.
Great variety of voluntary benefits and discounts are available as well.
Use the link below to apply on Indeed.com:
Harry Chapin Food Bank is the largest hunger-relief nonprofit and the only Feeding America member in Southwest Florida, serving Charlotte, Collier, Glades, Hendry and Lee counties.
We rescue and distribute donated food and other grocery products through our food distribution programs, including our Care and Share Senior Feeding Program, Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP), Harry’s Helpings, Fulfill Mobile Pantry Program, In-School Pantry Program and our Partner Agency Program, which is a network of more than 150 partner agencies that feed people who are hungry throughout our five-county footprint. Through our various programs, we feed more than a quarter of a million people who are hungry each month!
Our mission is to lead our community in the fight to end hunger.
Our vision is that no one should have to go hungry in our community.