Would you like to have meaningful work with an employer that values work-life balance, and colleagues that are all-in, big-hearted and solution-focused? If so, then SFBFS might be the employer for you!
The Law Clerk is a unique position that will be required to train with the Immigration Legal Services (ILS) team to become a DOJ Accredited Representative. This position will process affirmative applications, including but not limited to, family-based applications, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), naturalization, citizenship, and U-Visa applications. All work is done under the supervision of the Managing Attorney.
The Law Clerk will (including but not limited to):
• Participate in an extensive training program designed to prepare him/her to become a DOJ Accredited Representative
• Complete research, applications, and gather supporting documentation for the Managing Attorney’s review
• Request and analyze criminal court records as needed to assess eligibility and risks to filing
• Interview individuals to determine eligibility for affirmative benefits - training and tools to conduct these interviews will be provided by SFBFS
• Prepare comprehensive open case memos for the Managing Attorney, detailing an individual’s immigration history, eligibility, red flags and recommendations
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
• Fluency in Spanish and English (oral and written) - required
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Excellent research skills with strong attention to detail
• Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects to meet deadlines
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
• Competency to service clients from a variety of cultures and strong desire to serve the low-income immigrant population
• Prior experience in Immigration Law Firm - strongly preferred
• Completion of immigration clinics or prior participation in a naturalization or DACA workshop – preferred
• Completion of COIL or immigration law course(s) – preferred
• Other duties as assigned
• Full-time, non-exempt position; Monday – Friday (40 hours/week), with occasional weekends, evenings and holidays as needed
• Comprehensive benefits including medical/dental/vision/life/AD&D/LTD, retirement and more
Sacramento Food Bank & Family Services (SFBFS) welcomes people of all backgrounds and circumstances, providing a judgement-free zone for individuals and families throughout Sacramento County. A staff of more than 80 and several thousand volunteers take our mission of fighting food insecurity one step further by offering education and support for families wanting to shape their best tomorrow. More information is available at www.sacramentofoodbank.org.