This position is an integral member of the Grant Office under the Finance Department handling the full range of activities required to research, write, prepare, submit, and report on grant proposal to federal, state, county, foundations, corporations, and other organizations. The Grant Writer is responsible for conducting prospect research to identify funding opportunities. This is a position based out of Orlando, Fl supporting our Finance department and working closely with the Development department.
• Work closely with the Development team to support fundraising, public relations efforts and cultivating relationships with corporate and foundation funders
• Identify, research and recommend potential grant opportunities that align with Second Harvest vision, mission, and strategy
• Collaborate with staff across the organization to gather information necessary for grant proposals, reports and other communication to ensure organization goals are being met
• Coordinate the development of budget & budget justification and other necessary documents per agency/funder proposal guidelines
• Provide editorial review of proposal drafts in adherence to RFP guidelines and requirements
• Provide guidance and interpretation of federal regulations & donor specific requirements
• Ensure seamless and timely process for all tasks, communication and deliverables related to the grant process, including letters of inquiry, proposals, reports, and stewardship activities.
• Meet proposal deadlines by adhering to timelines for the different stages of information gathering, writing, review, approval, and transmittal process
• Assist the Director of Grants with organizing, maintain a calendar of grant submission and grant reporting deadlines to ensure that all applications and periodic reports are submitted to funders on time
• Disseminate notification of award and reporting requirements to the appropriate members of the organization
• Support grant management activities for secured grants, including documenting and communicating reporting requirements, tracking correspondence with funders, producing grant progress reports, and keeping up with funder reporting requirements and action items.
• Plan and fulfill donor site visits, warehouse tours, prospect meetings, follow-up phone calls, letters and emails
• Build new and foster existing relationships with funding organizations
Knowledge, Skills, Education and Experience Required
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and/or experience
• Minimum 5 years directly related experience
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including ability to proofread and draft high-quality documents
• Organized, dependable, and able to balance multiple priorities and meet deadlines
• Proficiency in Microsoft Suite Word, Excel, Outlook and other internet-based communications
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
• Ability to work weekends and evenings when job needs require
Desired Skills and/or Certifications
• Work experience in fundraising or in a nonprofit setting preferred
Paid Time Off
403 (b) Participation and math
Please apply directly on our website at:
Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida is a member of Feeding America – the largest charitable domestic hunger-relief organization in the United States. SHFBCF secures and distributes food and grocery products to approximately 550 local nonprofit feeding programs throughout Central Florida. Last year, with the help of food and financial donors, volunteers and a caring, committed community, the food bank has distributed enough food for 76 million meals to partner programs such as food pantries, soup kitchens, women’s shelters, senior centers, day care centers and Kids Cafes. In addition, Second Harvest’s 16-week culinary training program teaches foodservice-based technical, life and employability skills to economically hard-pressed adults. Second Harvest is distributing enough food to feed 66,000 people a day. To learn more about SHFBCF, visit www.FeedHopeNow.org.