The Helping Harvest Fresh Food Bank (previously known as Greater Berks Food Bank) is seeking a highly motivated leader to drive our mission to feed the hungry by acquiring and distributing food to people in need in the Berks and Schuylkill County areas. The Executive Director position requires an inspired and innovative leader dedicated to the communities it serves as well as the diverse team it manages and supports in achieving the mission. The Executive Director is a full time position located in Reading PA and reports to the Board of Directors. The successful candidate is responsible to lead all aspects of the food bank and work directly with the Board of Directors in all matters.
The Executive Director role is responsible to carry out the overall mission of the food bank and is responsible for the following efforts:
- Responsible for the leadership and direction of short and long term goals through strategic planning for the entire organization; for implementation and monitoring of action plans, evaluation of results and succession planning.
- Responsible to champion and interpret the purpose of the organization to the public through all means of communication available to the organization; for maintaining effective client relations with distribution agencies and for maintaining appropriate relations with other social service and professional groups in the community. This includes "hands-on" fundraising expertise and professional ability in face-to-face solicitation.
- Responsible to provide leadership and work direction to all direct reports and their staff with the purpose of developing the Helping Harvest team to operate at their peak performance of excellence. This includes the responsibility for staff recruitment, growth, development and retention by creating a positive work environment that rewards hard work and extraordinary achievement.
- Responsible for meeting all appropriate legal requirements relative to the operation of the organization; including all public accountability at both state and federal levels including all Feeding America guidelines.
- Responsible for the preparation of the organizational budget for both operational and capital needs for issuance of all checks, vouchers and payments; for monitoring the financial operations of the organization. Authorized as the Officer of the Food Bank to negotiate, sign and execute contracts.
- Responsible for monitoring programs of food acquisition and distribution to meet community needs; for collaborative efforts with other similar organizations; for research of other unmet food needs in the organization's service area.
- Responsible for the security and maintenance of facilities and equipment for the successful operations of the organization.
- Reports to the Helping Harvest Board of Directors and is responsible for all communications, training and development related to the Board of Directors. Meets with the board on a regular basis to ensure the strategic direction is being met through the operations and activities of the Helping Harvest staff.
- Bachelors Degree is Required, Masters Degree is a plus
- Minimum of 8 years experience in food banking, non-profit management or business management
- Minimum of 5 years supervisory, management, progressive executive experience
- Resident of the service territory, or willingness to relocate is required
Skills and Experience
- Excellent writing, communication, management and leadership skills
- Understanding and proven champion of Change Management is essential
- Organizational financial management, solid understanding of non-profit financials a plus
- Fundraising Experience and Background
- Strong Work Ethic with ability to make sound decisions in stressful conditions
- Ability to delegate work assignments
- Quality Management Experience to promote quality, accuracy and thoroughness of operations
- Safety and Security Knowledge and Experience
- Ideal candidate would have food purchasing and distribution experience
- Ideal candidate would have Technology expertise for innovative future solutions
- Minimal travel requirements are included in this position within the geographical area
Interested applicants should send resumes and job inquiries to [email protected].
The Company Mission
The mission of Helping Harvest, serving Berks and Schuylkill County since 1983, is to feed the hungry by acquiring and distributing food to people in need.