Come join a vibrant and passionate team at Second Harvest of the Big Bend. Nestled in the Big Bend area of north Florida only an hour from the Gulf of Mexico’s world famous beaches. Tallahassee is the state capital and features a vibrant culture celebrating the arts, sports, award-winning parks and trails, state and local politics, two universities and a community college. At the same time, Tallahassee is a progressive and welcoming community offering fine medical care, diverse educational opportunities, and a high quality of life.
Second Harvest’s working environment is focused on team collaboration and an expectation of excellence, while maintaining a healthy work-life balance.
Director of Philanthropy
Developing a culture of philanthropy within Second Harvest and the community will insure a sustainable funding base that will allow us to grow and further implement our vision of a hunger-free North Florida. The Director of Philanthropy is responsible for integrating that philosophy in all we do and for executing annual and long-range fund development plans to ensure continued growth in giving.
• Works with Second Harvest’s CEO, with the input and support of the Board and the Development Committee, to develop annual and long-range fundraising strategies and goals.
• Meets or exceeds fundraising goals.
• Leads development and implementation of capital, major gift, annual giving and endowment campaigns.
• Member of the senior management team, working on developing and executing strategies to maximize community impact and successfully achieve annual growth goals.
• Prepares and monitors the departmental budget.
• Establishes departmental goals and goals for individual employees within the Development Department.
• Proactively develops strategies, funder requests, events, outreach and donor calls as needed to support programs and activities at Second Harvest.
• Develops, implements and supports Second Harvest’s fundraising events including but not limited to Blue Jeans & Blazers, the Bank of America Give-a-Meal Campaign, the WTXL Turkey Drive, food & fund drives and third-party events.
• Coordinates direct mail activities, including planning and implementation of direct mail program in collaboration with vendors.
• Updates and implements the donor acknowledgement, stewardship and cultivation process.
• Ensures accurate and complete recordkeeping, including documentation of all interactions with donors in donor database and providing accurate reports to Second Harvest’s CEO, the Second Harvest management team, the Board, and Feeding America.
• Oversees the Feeding Hope Society and provides avenues for donor stewardship and increased opportunities for giving.
• Submits reports and updates to donors as necessary and maintains relationships with current and potential donors.
• Coordinates with the Director of Community Outreach to ensure that fundraising and marketing activities support each other.
• Develops written cultivation, solicitation and stewardship plans
• Helps coach and inspire staff, board members and others in cultivation of donors and prospects.
• Partners with Second Harvest’s CEO, Board members and others in making solicitations as appropriate.
• Represents Second Harvest as a media spokesperson when needed.
• Oversees the staff within the Development team.
• Performs other duties as assigned by the CEO.
• Adhere to Second Harvest’s expectations and values:
• Be proactive, getting things done and holding self and others accountable for results.
• Be constructive by providing solutions, displaying optimism, being respectful and fair.
• Be truthful by providing facts to support opinions, speaking up and not exaggerating.
• Develop and maintain an effective messaging strategy that places a human face on food insecurity and hunger.
• Communicating in a professional, honest and open manner.
• Believe in our mission and impact.
• Adhere to the Association of Fundraising Professionals’ Code of Ethics and the Donor Bill of Rights and ensure that the agency complies fully with these documents.
• Ensure that Second Harvest of the Big Bend’s Donor Gift Policy is adhered to and annually reviewed by Second Harvest’s CEO and the Development Committee.
• Demonstrate honesty, integrity and commitment to fighting hunger in North Florida.
• Ability to relate effectively with other staff, volunteers, agency representatives and the general public.
• Ability to complete work in an accurate, effective and timely manner.
Specific to Position
• College degree and four years minimum experience in development, non-profit management and/or comparable experience.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Self-supporting as to computer and clerical needs.
• Working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
• Working knowledge of donor database software and best practices.
• Working knowledge of direct mail, annual giving, major gifts and event management.
• Experience in supervising/managing staff and volunteers in a productive and positive manner.
Salary commensurate upon experience. Second Harvest offers a generous benefits package inclusive of employer paid health, dental and life insurance for the employee. Employees may elect to participate in the Simple IRA retirement program, with a match incentive up to 3% of the employee’s salary. Second Harvest recognizes eleven paid holidays each year, and employees may earn sick leave and vacation time.
Interested candidates must submit their cover letter and resume to [email protected].
Second Harvest’s mission: to feed the hungry in the Big Bend through our network of partner agencies and to educate and engage the community in the fight against hunger.
Second Harvest is the regional food bank for Florida’s Big Bend region, serving 11 North Florida counties in collaboration with a network of 135 partner agencies. Its efforts are concentrated on feeding children, seniors, veterans, families and individuals who struggle with food insecurity. Its mission is accomplished via distribution of food to partner agencies, childhood nutrition programs, the Backpack Program, Senior Grocery programs, school pantries, and mobile pantries to underserved neighborhoods.
Second Harvest is a member of the Feeding America and Feeding Florida networks. As such, it is one of three Feeding America food banks in Florida that serve as emergency food and water distribution hubs for disaster response.
Second Harvest recently purchased its 41,000 square foot warehouse and is in the process of installing a backup generator, performing ADA compliance upgrades, establishing a donor recognition system and a major gift society, and planning a major celebration reception for top donors and supporters in October of 2019.