Northern Illinois Food Bank
Job Title Description: Director of Operations
Reports To: Vice President of Operations
Support NIFB’s Strategic Plan and its derivatives by creating, developing and managing the Operations Department’s efforts that will increase food assistance distribution within the Food Bank’s Agency network. Manage the movement of all food into and out of NIFB’s facilities. Maximize the use of available resources, fulfill NIFB’s commitments to acquire and distribute quality food, secure and protect NIFB’s facilities, staff and capital assets through the outcomes of detailed implementation plans, effective delegation of responsibilities and control of day-to-day operational tasks.
Generate quantitative evidence of completion of Strategic Plan initiatives and daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly reports which provide information to effectively plan and demonstrate incremental improvement.
Oversee all operational and facility related functions including: warehouse operations, logistics, inventory management for all NIFB facilities. As part of the senior management team, participate in the strategic planning process. Ensure that operational and warehouse processes are in compliance with all applicable Federal, State, and local laws as well as Feeding America guidelines. Employee supports NIFB’s Strategic Plan and its derivatives.
This position supervises the Warehouse Manager, Inventory Manager, and staffing at our secondary distribution points; Lake County Center, Rockford Center, and Joliet Center.
This job operates in both an office and a warehouse environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines as well as warehouse equipment such as forklifts, Reach-trucks, Electric and Manual pallet movers.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a forklift, as well as a lot of standing, walking, bending and stooping. This is a physical job.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Some flexibility in hours is allowed, but the employee must be available during the "core" work hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and must work 40 hours each week to maintain full-time status.
This position is based out of our West Suburban Center (Geneva) Location, but also oversees distribution operations at all other Centers.
Frequent local travel within our 13 county service area required.
Northern Illinois Food Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer
• Plan and implement required operational support to ensure completion of all components of NIFB’s Strategic Plan and its derivatives, and ensure that the accomplishment of the goals are from systems which will persevere over time and support all other NIFB departments.
• Oversee the management of all warehouse operational activities in Geneva, Park City, Joliet, and Rockford.
• Recommend, champion and manage annual budget for operations area.
• Initiate cost control scrutiny and actively negotiate cost reductions and resource maximization.
• Manage warehouse packaging and supply vendors.
• Oversee and manage departmental staffing requirements to ensure critical tasks and daily work assignments are completed. Supervise subordinates in organizing jobs and staff to produce the best result.
• Manage, motivate and develop staff. Conduct performance appraisals, job training, and new-hire department-specific policy and procedure training; coach employees in the development and execution of development plans. Oversee performance
• Increase the efficiency of all operational functions. Push to build a culture that will strive for incremental improvements in all processes and tasks.
• Ensure that a high level of Agency partner/customer satisfaction with the level and responsiveness of our distribution services and employee communications.
• Ensure the accurate reconciling of the book and physical inventory of on-hand food. Actively support the Food Sourcing Team to maintain satisfactory inventory levels of all food items.
• Develop and manage systems and procedures for receiving, distributing, transferring, storing and processing inventory that will result in effective control of inventory and efficient distribution of food.
• Ensure that sanitation and pest control programs are highly effective and actively monitored.
• Promote total quality management/process management concepts within all operational and facility related areas of the organization. Ensure the active evaluation and quality inspection of all received food items. Communicate and document policies, procedures and activities to consistently and efficiently evaluate food quality and manage food waste or other quality issues.
• Oversee the management of a logistics program that will support all Agency Distribution and Food Donor Pick-up needs
• Institute and manage a maintenance program that will ensure that facilities are adequately maintained to meet the NIFB’s operational and compliance needs.
• Ensure operations comply with all applicable Feeding America, Federal, State, and Local Government regulations and guidelines.
• Oversee the development, implementation and maintenance of a comprehensive safety program for employees and volunteers. Develop a tracking and reporting mechanism for the safety program. (AIB)
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Required Education, Skills, and Experience
· Commitment to understanding and supporting NIFB’s mission. Shows compassion and appreciation for hunger issues.
· At least five years managerial responsibility in operations/warehousing or related area.
· Proven success in managing and motivating employees. Experience managing and hourly workforce.
· Proven success in leading the development and implementation of process improvements.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills.
· Familiarity with the concepts of inventory management.
· Experience in transportation and logistics.
· Bi-lingual in Spanish helpful but not required.
· Proficient in Excel, Outlook Word etc.
Preferred Education, Skills, and Experience
Forklift certified preferred.
Full benefits package
Northern Illinois Food Bank – a proud member of Feeding America – is the source of nutritious food, innovative feeding programs, and hope for more than 71,500 people each week. As a 501©3 non-profit organization with a goal of solving hunger in our 13-county service area, we rely on generous donors, volunteers, and community partners – the local food pantries and feeding programs, food manufacturers and retailers, companies, foundations, and individuals who join with us in our vision for no one to be hungry in Northern Illinois.