We are hiring for a full-time job to join the External Affairs Department at Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee. Main responsibilities include championing the organization’s marketing and communications, event management, volunteer engagement, public relations, brand identity, direct response fundraising, and community relations efforts required to support the long-term, strategic direction of the organization. This position ensures the integration of effective marketing and communication strategies across all functional areas of the organization while leading a team in strengthening community awareness of the organization, growing donor relationships, and exceeding fundraising goals.
- Conceives, coordinates, and implements high-level integrated, multi-channel campaigns around marketing, fundraising, and general brand awareness that clearly position the organization as a leader in hunger relief while supporting the organization’s fundraising and programmatic goals. Establishes clear goals, benchmarks, deliverables, and metrics to monitor progress and evaluate success.
- Directs strategic brand initiatives, ensures brand consistency in all Second Harvest programs and communications, and manages cross-functional efforts related to furthering the mission of Second Harvest.
- Oversees publicity, media relations and thought-leadership efforts to promote the organization, its executives and subject matter experts, and issues relating to hunger in America to increase brand awareness across 46-county service area.
- Provides business and marketing thought leadership in developing responsive, creative strategies to address challenges that impede the successful growth of programs or initiatives and contributes to a team-oriented work climate that enables professional development and encourages innovation.
- Manages and develops direct reports to a sustained high level of performance through coaching, mentorship, and other team-building practices to ensure continued new skills acquisition as well as enhancing current skills. Reports directly to the Chief Development & Marketing Officer and is responsible for an overall team of 19 and directly supervises 4: Director, Community Engagement; Creative Services Project Manager; Integrated Marketing & Fundraising Strategist; Digital Content & Engagement Specialist.
When & Where: Typical Monday - Friday daytime schedule of 8 AM – 4:30 PM to work primarily out of our distribution center in Nashville, TN. Occasional evening and Saturday work may be required for meetings, special activities or events. On occasion, other duties may be necessary, as well as responding to issues outside of normal working hours (e.g., disaster response, community events, special food distributions, meetings within a county, etc.)
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications, or related areas required. MBA preferred.
Experience: 5+ years of experience in developing and implementing innovative marketing and communications strategies in complex organizations. Experience in fundraising is preferred.
Skills: Strategic and results-oriented leader; effectively sets goals, executes against them and provides oversight for the management of projects and expectations; tactical and creative thinker who can effectively and constructively lead Second Harvest to consider new and innovative approaches to targeting and engaging new stakeholder groups, as well as branding and partnership development; collaborator and influencer who can serve various stakeholder needs; ability to ‘manage-up’ and lead interdepartmental initiatives to collectively accomplish objectives; problem-solving skills; flexible and adaptable learner who is comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainty; leads and develops teams in dynamic environments; utilizes data to conceptualize and analyze problems, solutions and identifies key metrics that will help the organization work towards strategic objectives; superior verbal and written communication skills with the ability to generate high level content and oversee staff in the creation of content; technologically proficient in digital marketing tools, CRM tools, fundraising software, Adobe Illustrator/ Photoshop and standard Microsoft office programs; knowledge/understanding of the nonprofit sector relating to hunger issues; direct response fundraising strategies and best practices understanding; demonstrated business acumen, including experience of budgeting and resourcing.
Other requirements: our pre-hire process requires acceptable results from the following: professional reference feedback, criminal background check, Motor Vehicle Record and a pre-employment drug test. Current Driver’s License and automobile insurance are also required. Criminal backgrounds are evaluated on a case-by-case basis considering several factors (timing, frequency, severity and job relation).
What Second Harvest has to offer:
Work with a purpose: As one of Middle Tennessee’s largest nonprofits, our local hunger relief work is uniquely rewarding, hands-on and solutions-oriented. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, values-driven and focused on results. Our mission is to feed hungry people and work to solve hunger issues in our community. In the 2020 fiscal year, we distributed more than 41 million pounds of food to more than 460 Partner Agencies, providing more than 36.9 million meals to hungry children, families, and seniors throughout our 46-county service area. A career with Second Harvest ensures that you not only earn a paycheck, but also help your local community through meaningful work. If you are passionate about serving your neighbors in need and are committed to our mission of ending hunger, we invite you to join our 120+ person team in the fight against hunger, as we work to achieve our vision of a hunger-free community.
Award-winning workplace: we are a best-in-class workplace because we are passionate and people-focused – we listen, respect, care and challenge each other, so that our community can count on us for our critical work. Our employees have identified us among The Tennessean’s Top Workplaces seven times based solely on employee surveys and feedback. We are invested in our team and offer frequent whole-person wellness opportunities through our Harvest Wellbeing Program. We focus on staff physical and mental health, financial empowerment, personal and professional development as well as social and community engagement. There is ample opportunity to be engaged and grow with Second Harvest.
Compensation & Benefits: Second Harvest is proud to offer rich and affordable total compensation packages. Total compensation for full-time employment includes many benefits, in addition to base pay. The time off policies include: 10 holidays, 12+ vacation, 12+ sick and personal time as required by law. Traditional benefits offered include medical (employee-only coverage paid 100% by employer) dental and vision. Additional available benefits include retirement (with a generous employer match), disability insurance (short and long-term), life insurance as well as long-term care insurance.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Equal Employment Opportunity: Second Harvest embraces a philosophy that recognizes and values diversity. We want our employees to reflect the diversity of the communities in which we serve. Our goal is to attract, develop, retain and promote a talented and diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential. We provide equal employment to all applicants and employees regardless of race, religion, color, gender, disability, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or other legally protected characteristics.
Think this sounds like a role and workplace where you would thrive? Apply now!
You can express interest in joining our team, in any of the following ways:
- Online: employment application on our website - http://www.secondharvestmidtn.org/job-opportunities/?gnk=apply&gni=8a78…. Resume and cover letter can be uploaded with applications on the website as well.
- Email: Resume and cover letter can be sent to our Human Resources team at [email protected].
- In person: applications can be completed by visiting us on-site at any of our distribution centers, locations can be found on our website at https://www.secondharvestmidtn.org/contact/.
Thanks for your interest in working for Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle TN. We love it here and think you will too.