The Director of Marketing and Brand Strategy is responsible for advancing the strategic direction of the Food Bank’s marketing, advocacy and brand awareness initiatives. This role will support the mission of the Food Bank by growing our donated resources through increasing awareness in the community. Responsibilities include management of Food Bank brand, media and public relations, fundraising events, cause marketing, online communications (including website and social media), and the Food Bank’s print and media library. This position will lead the effort to increase Food Bank brand and hunger awareness throughout the service area by ensuring that appropriate resources are targeted toward public relations and marketing campaigns. This is a leadership role for one who is equally comfortable with big picture strategic planning and rolling up sleeves to dig into the detail.
• Develop and implement comprehensive strategic marketing plan, including measuring current awareness and strategies to increase by specific audience and channel. Continuously update and revise to ensure ever-changing needs of the Food Bank are met.
• Oversee organization branding, ensuring Food Bank brand is used in a manner that is within the mission of the organization, and that use is consistent across the organization.
• Develop and maintain organizational messaging, targeting key audiences, and conduct annual reviews to ensure messaging remains current and relevant.
• Cultivate key Chicagoland relationships with local media outlets to promote the Food Bank and our initiatives and secure speaking engagements for Food Bank staff and representatives.
• Represent Food Bank in TV broadcast, radio and interviews with newspapers or be responsible for preparing CEO or other appropriate Food Bank staff for media opportunities.
• Write, edit, proofread, format and distribute press materials including media advisories, new releases, public service announcements, and feature articles.
• Maintaining brand integrity, develop and manage the organizational advertising strategy.
• Manage department budget, engaging appropriate internal stakeholders, including contractor fees, design, publications and advertising.
• Provide overall big picture, strategic vision and messaging for fundraising events, and hold event team accountable for logistics and revenue goals.
• Oversee the Food Bank largest cause marketing campaigns and develop strategy for growing this revenue stream and garnering additional awareness of the Food Bank brand.
• Oversee communication strategy for Food Bank social media and blog, while collaborating with philanthropy team on website content.
• Manage government affairs and advocacy and serve as lead to cross-departmental advocacy team.
• Oversee Food Bank material development, including material to raise awareness and garner resources, and materials to promote Food Bank services to our neighbors.
• Manage team members across communications, advocacy and events, providing leadership and vision, individual coaching and promoting a positive culture for the team that is supportive of the Food Bank overall.
• Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, communications, or related area. Master’s degree preferred.
• A minimum of ten years public/media relations experience, including management of a team.
• Proven track record of working effectively with print and broadcast media to promote news coverage of events, initiatives, causes etc.
• Proven effectiveness in the development of strategic work plans.
• Experience in the marketing and execution of large events, with revenue goals.
• Persuasive writer and storyteller with excellent presentation and public speaking skills.
• Proven ability to write and edit news releases and other communication materials with tight deadlines.
• Experience with strategy for large social media accounts and paid campaigns.
• Strong relationship building skills externally and internally building and coaching a team.
• Proficient with various computer programs including – Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and Adobe products.
• Experience in selecting, negotiating with, and managing outside vendors.
• Commitment to understanding and supporting the Food Bank’s mission.
Full Benefits Package; Medical, Dental, Vision, STD, LTD, Life Insurance, Vacation, Personal & Sick, 401k and additional benefits.
Northern Illinois Food Bank – a proud member of Feeding America – is the source of nutritious food, innovative feeding programs, and hope for more than half a million people every year. As a 501©3 non-profit organization with a goal of solving hunger in our 13-county service area, we rely on generous donors, volunteers, and community partners – the local food pantries and feeding programs, food manufacturers and retailers, companies, foundations, and individuals who join with us in our vision for no one to be hungry in Northern Illinois.