Supports organizational strategic plan by creating, developing, and managing food acquisition initiatives to ensure continued growth in food resources. This position is directly responsible for donor development with farmers, wholesalers, manufacturers, distributors, retail grocery, and food service companies. Oversees produce acquisition and food purchasing to support Food Bank programs. Ensures that all food acquisition activities reflect the highest level of professionalism, follow best business practices, and create positive community relations.
• Develop, implement and manage departmental food resourcing goals and objectives to align with organizations strategic goals and initiatives.
• Implement processes and best practices for all product purchasing programs.
• Plan, implement, and analyze all strategies related to grant/government funds allocated to acquisition of products.
• Responsible for the cultivation and development of new donors within service area by utilizing and maintaining key stakeholder relationships across our service area and Feeding America’s network.
• Work collaboratively with Warehouse, Transportation, and Agency & Program Services staff to ensure that food acquisition strategies align with strategic direction.
• Steward existing donors within service area with Product Acquisition Representatives through appropriate engagement activities, including visits, communications, and recognition programs.
• Host food industry member visits and tours.
• May serve as a staff representative on a board committee.
• Track, analyze and report on selected metrics; i.e., pounds, donations by category, donations by donor, current donor lists, lapsed donor strategies, prospective donors, purchased food pounds, product demands, EFP Bonus Product Opportunities, and Produce Program
• Manage trades of surplus inventory with other food banks.
• Manage Milk to My Plate Program and strategies for growth while adhering to budget
• Maintain strong relationship with Feeding America food sourcing department.
• Manage Feeding America CHOICE system to acquire nationally donated product.
• Provide professional, responsive and appreciative customer service to all food industry partners.
• Establishes and maintains strong relationships with Northern Illinois Food Bank team members and stakeholders.
• Directs employees including performance management, salary planning and administration, training and development, workflow and organizational planning, hiring and placement, and Performance Management.
• Participates in special projects.
• Committed to organizational mission of ending hunger.
• Works in collaboration with other Northern Illinois Food Bank team members and contributes additional work as necessary
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Required Education, Skills, and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
• Must have a valid Driver’s License.
• Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in the food industry.
• Proven success in sales and cold calling.
• Proven success in development and leadership of team members.
• Understanding of budget management.
• Proficiency in Windows based computer software; excellent skills required in Excel, Word and Outlook.
• Exceptional analytical skills and strong mathematical ability.
• Strong business acumen.
• Ability to develop strategic relationships with stakeholders.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Must be self–directed and possess the ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities while maintaining high levels of performance.
• Must represent Northern Illinois Food Bank with professionalism when interacting with external and internal stakeholders.
Preferred Education, Skills, and Experience
• Experience in food industry, sales and customer service strongly preferred.
Competitive Benefits Package including; Medical, Dental, Vision, STD/LTD, Life Insurance, 401k, PTO and bonus incentive
Northern Illinois Food Bank – a proud member of Feeding America – is the source of nutritious food, innovative feeding programs, and hope for more than half a million people every year. As a 501©3 non-profit organization with a goal of solving hunger in our 13-county service area, we rely on generous donors, volunteers, and community partners – the local food pantries and feeding programs, food manufacturers and retailers, companies, foundations, and individuals who join with us in our vision for no one to be hungry in Northern Illinois.