The Director of Development is charged with the development and execution of a comprehensive and long-term financial development plan to support the mission of the Food Bank of Northern Indiana. This position will work closely with the Executive Director and CEO to create and execute fundraising strategies that increase FBNI’s support from corporations, foundations and other sources. This includes, but is not limited to, identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of corporate and foundation gifts, major individual gifts planned giving, special events and grant writing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1) Work closely with Executive Director and CEO and Board of Directors External Committee to develop and implement fundraising strategies to meet annual and long-range goals.
2) Develops, manages and evaluates all fundraising activities to ensure annual revenue goals are achieved.
3) Research, develop, cultivate, engage, solicit and steward a portfolio of prospects, corporate partners and major donors in the Food Bank’s six-county service area.
4) Proactively develops and implements strategies, grant requests, events, outreach and donor calls, and fundraising requests to support programs and activities of FBNI.
5) Partners with Executive Director and CEO and others in making solicitations as appropriate.
6) Researches public and private grant agencies and foundations to identify other sources of funding for FBNI, and may serve as grant writer or collaborate with Executive Director and CEO to pursue these opportunities.
7) Represents FBNI at community meetings and events and serves as a media spokesperson as appropriate.
8) Coordinates direct marketing activities with third party fundraising firm to maximize revenue opportunities.
9) Oversees administration of donor database. Utilizes donor reports and data to inform fundraising strategies and maximize revenue.
10) Coordinates the design, publication and distribution of marketing and communication materials for resource development purposes.
11) Serves as a member of the senior management team at FBNI to help shape organizational strategy.
12) Performs all other duties as assigned by the Executive Director and CEO.
Minimum Qualifications for Education, Training and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in Philanthropy, Public Leadership, Business Management or related field is required or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Previous work experience in a non-profit organization is required.
• Minimum of six years of demonstrated fund development experience with a proven record of achieving fund development goals through corporate and major gift cultivation and stewardship.
• Previous work experience developing and executing signature fundraising events.
Required Background, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Self-starter who is goal-driven in initiating donor and sponsorship visits and inquiries.
• Demonstrated knowledge and success in donor cultivation and fundraising techniques.
• Demonstrated relationship building.
• Demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups with a team approach and successful results.
• Ability to be a strong team player, work independently and collaborate with others as appropriate.
• Exhibit strong verbal, written, presentation, planning, time management and organizational skills. Ability to write, edit and proofread correspondence and presentation materials for accuracy and style.
• Must be detail-oriented, with the ability to plan, prioritize, take initiative, resolve problems, meet deadlines and multi-task.
• Demonstrated negotiation and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to make independent decisions.
• Must have high integrity and a strong work ethic.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and Donor Perfect database is preferred and self-supporting as to computer and clerical needs.
Benefits of Working at the Food Bank of Northern Indiana:
• Ten holidays – New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Friday after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
• Vacation and Sick Days – prorated for the first year based on hire date/available after 90 days.
• Health Insurance – Available the first month following 60 days of employment. Employee is responsible for 10% of the premium.
• Dental Insurance – free to employee regardless if covered under health insurance policy.
• Hearing and Vision Insurance – free to employee covered under health insurance policy.
• Life Insurance – free to staff member ($25,000 policy).
• Cell Phone Reimbursement - $60 per month.
• Short Term Disability Insurance – eligible the first month following 60 days of employment.
• Simple IRA – eligible after 90 days during open enrollment period which is November 1 with a 3% Food Bank of Northern Indiana contribution.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest and resume to [email protected]
The Food Bank of Northern Indiana works in partnership with the community to feed the hungry, increase awareness of the effects of hunger and lead programs designed to alleviate hunger. The Food Bank serves Elkhart, Kosciusko, LaPorte, Marshall, Starke and St. Joseph Counties and is a member of Feeding America, Feeding Indiana’s Hungry and United Way.
Classification: Full-time, Exempt, 40 hours/week
Reports to: Executive Director and CEO
Salary Range: $70,000 - $80,000/annually
This position may require early morning, evening or weekend work or a longer workday as necessary. Requires a valid driver’s license and the ability to travel independently by car for work and have reliable transportation. Must be able to lift and move up to 35 pounds.
Employment requires a negative drug screening, Covid test and vaccination verification and successful background check.
The Food Bank of Northern Indiana is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and provides equal opportunities for employment and advancement for all individuals, regardless of age, gender, race, religion, color, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.