The Director of Communications shall provide leadership and expertise for agency projects and programs that alleviate the causes and impacts of poverty in the community. The ideal candidate will be responsible for creating and implementing plans to develop, manage and support the Action Pathways branding and outreach efforts, to include oversight of print, social media, websites, signage, collateral and presentations. The Director must understand, represent and advocate the agency's history, mission and vision, and fully participate in promoting its work, objectives and accomplishments.
The Director of Communications shall work with each program to assess the unique communication challenges and opportunities. The Director will develop and implement strategies to meet outlined goals, as related but not limited to:
- Maintain a highly functional and interactive website;
- Prepare publications, presentations, talking points and collateral;
- Coordinate video projects, photo shoots and displays, and oversee production of materials by outside vendors;
- Establish relationships with media, public officials, donors and other stakeholders who can advocate for the agency's mission;
- Coordinate with other service providers to initiate joint venture agreements and knowledge sharing, obtain local, state and federal government support, and facilitate community development that champions the overall success and growth of the agency;
- Support program fundraising and reporting efforts, to include grant management and event planning;
- Work with Chief Executive Officer, Chief Operating Officer, Board of Directors, Agency Advancement, Policy Council, and additional staff and advisors to support communications needs across the agency;
- Work with program directors and staff to identify needs relating to sponsored events, grant-funded programs and special initiatives;
- Serve as primary expert on Crisis
- Management and develops plans to convene Crisis Management Team in event of emergency;
- Assists in communicating needs to the public in the face of disaster, ie. natural disaster call for volunteer assistance, etc.
- Serve as spokesperson for the agency;
- Report to Chief Executive Officer and supervise non-supervisory personnel;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The Director of Communications can expect to work closely with Senior Leadership, local policymakers and supporters as appropriate:
- The Director will work to tell Action Pathways' story, requiring frequent interaction with clients, staff and community members.
- As a Community Action Program, Action Pathways depends on the advocacy of individuals, groups, foundations and elected officials.
- This position will be charged with increasing recognition of the brand and discovering new pipelines of support in nonprofit-rich Cumberland County and southeastern NC.
- The Director should possess the technical and interpersonal skills to transition into an organization committed to service. The successful candidate shall bring innovative ideas to help make Action Pathways the leading Community Action Program in the state.
- Bachelor's degree in business, economics, communication, public relations, journalism or a related field, plus five to seven years of experience in nonprofit management. Master's preferred. Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Proven managerial and interpersonal skills to lead a dynamic team and work with diverse populations.
- Possess proven analytical abilities, strong writing and verbal skills, and advanced graphic design capabilities.
- Proficiency with Adobe CC preferred.
- Experience garnering regional press attention, and developing strategic advertising campaigns to maximize resources and reach desired goals.
- Grant writing and fundraising experience preferred.
- Possess the experience and judgment to recognize the need for change, and the leadership skills to create change.
Full-time exempt position. Salary is commensurate with experience. Hiring Range: $52,000 - $62,000.
Employee benefits include but are not limited to:
- Dental, health, vision & life insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid vacation, personal & sick leave
- Professional development training
- Educational financial assistance
- Short-term disability & medical leave
- Auto mileage reimbursement for official travel
Visit our website www.actionpathways.ngo
Action Pathways is a non-profit human services agency offering a comprehensive and supportive approach to helping families and individuals achieve and sustain economic security— effectively providing them a path forward in life. Formed in 1964, Action Pathways is part of a national network of community action programs whose promise is to change people’s lives, embody the spirit of hope, and improve our communities.