The Controller is part of the organization’s Senior Leadership Team and is responsible for overseeing the accounting function which includes staff, data and technology. This role ensures GAAP compliant and effective financial statement preparation such as budget to actual, statement of activities, statement of position (balance sheets). The Controller also oversees the daily operations of the accounting departments including monthly close, processing of invoices, cash receipts, accounts payable and accounts receivable. Duties include implementing policies and procedures for internal controls and financial reporting with the CFO.
• Supervise two accounting staff
• Conduct monthly close, including doing the bank recs, investment schedules, journal entries and other schedules
• Prepare monthly financials with variance analysis
• Maintain Navision (Ceres) general ledger system
• Build and maintain financial reporting structures
• Build and maintain core budget data in PowerPlan
• Work with the Operation’s teams to ensure food, programs, and other activities financially flow and are accurately accounted.
• Manage inventory valuation processes and sub ledger reconciliations. Participate in the review of monthly and annual inventory counts. Work with inventory team to improve inventory processes.
• Ensure all accounting data is tracked appropriately to correct program, department or function
• Ensure best practice accounting is implemented with optimum use of technology and other resources
• Lead and prepare for the annual audit, prepare annual report information, including 990, Feeding America NAR
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Required Education, Skills, & Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or relevant experience.
• 5+ years’ experience as Controller including supervision of staff.
• Experience with reporting and audit requirements for federal funding is desired.
• Advanced Excel Skills and proficiency in PowerPoint, Word, and Microsoft Office.
• Excellent analytical skills and advanced skills in turning data into relevant and useful information based on understanding of the organization and its operations.
• Technologically savvy in accounting and related functional programs/applications.
• Strong organizational and detail-oriented skills
• Strong communication skills
Preferred Education, Skills, and Experience: Controller experience for a non-profit organization is highly desired.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position supervises multiple employees.
Northern Illinois Food Bank has a robust benefit package including medical, vision, dental, short & long-term disability, life insurance, etc. There is also a matching 401k.
Apply via the website: https://solvehungertoday.org/about-us/our-mission/
The vision at Northern Illinois Food Bank is for everyone in Northern Illinois to have the food they need to thrive. A 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and proud member of Feeding America. We serve our neighbors in 13 counties with dignity, equity and convenience. The organization follows sound financial principles to insure the longevity and sustainability of our organization.