The Communications Director is a member of the senior leadership team and supports the Development department in setting and delivering the strategy for all external communications and public relations content to consistently articulate the Food Bank’s mission. The ideal candidate will possess a long-term vision for the communications function; integrating and supporting FBCCS’ policy, advocacy, programmatic, and development efforts. This position also oversees the Advocacy function of the Food Bank.
• Collaborate with the President and CEO and Development Director to develop and implement an integrated strategic marketing, communications and engagement plan to strengthen programmatic impact and support the Food Bank’s mission and goals.
• Oversee the writing, project budgets, production, design, and distribution of a wide variety of publications and collateral materials, including reports, brochures, marketing materials, fact sheets, one-pagers, slide decks, videos, website and online/social media, etc.
• Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, training and developing employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
• Oversee and direct the research and education of the Advocacy function of the Food Bank.
• Field and direct responses to all media-related inquiries and act as spokesperson to the media, including appearances on live TV and radio.
• Oversee and act as a backup for social media activity including interacting with influencers and coordinating with outside vendors for advertisement.
• Identify and tell stories that demonstrate the impact of the Food Bank on our community
• Anticipate and manage crisis communications.
• Utilize metrics to measure the success of various communications initiatives and drive results.
• Conduct general market research to keep abreast of trends and competitor’s marketing movements.
• Develop and maintain an organization-wide editorial calendar to guide communications efforts with internal and external stakeholders.
• Cultivate relationships with marketing and communications-related staff, consultants, and vendors.
• Assist and coach staff with public speaking engagements and presentations and advise on the preparation and presentation of service information at community meetings, displays, and exhibits.
• Supervise the development and integration of business processes utilizing the Salesforce CRM system and database as well as the enhancement, customization and maintenance of Salesforce.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, journalism, public affairs, English, or related field.
• A minimum of five (5) years of experience as a communications, marketing, or public relations professional with demonstrated success. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
• A minimum of 3 years’ experience leading and developing high performing teams.
• Experience with non-profits, membership organizations, trade associations, and/or government agency experience strongly desired.
• Excellent writing and editing skills with the ability to translate data into a compelling written solicitation for a variety of audiences required.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Suite, and WordPress required.
• Proficiency with social media platforms including: Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn.
• Ability to speak effectively and professionally before the media, including on live TV and radio, groups of customers, employees, and the general public demonstrating cultural sensitivity.
• Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects at once in a fast paced, deadline-driven collaborative environment with people of diverse backgrounds and circumstances.
• Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner and develop alternative solutions.
• Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
• Ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds.
• Valid California Driver’s license and insurance and ability to be insured under the Food Bank’s auto insurance required.
• Ability to regularly climb stairs.
• Ability to use personal vehicle for travel in Contra Costa and Solano counties with occasional travel to Sacramento and greater northern California.
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive and extensive benefits package including health, dental, and vision, life insurance, flexible spending account, 403(b), and paid leave to eligible employees. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment for our employees, where people can learn and grow with the company. We strive to provide an inclusive, collaborative, and creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
Please send your resume and any supporting documents to [email protected] with the subject line: “Communications Director. Email submission is preferred.
Or by mail to:
Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano
Attn: Human Resources
4010 Nelson Avenue
Concord, CA 94520
For more information about us, please visit: http://www.foodbankccs.org
The Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
In instances of a federal, state or locally declared emergency, Food Bank is typically considered an essential service and emergency responder; all of its employees may be called in to perform regular or emergent duties.