You’ll join a small Communications team working with the Social Services Outreach team to reduce food insecurity among Texans by educating and assisting them in applying for public benefits, like SNAP (formerly food stamps). The Feeding Texas Social Services Outreach team administers the SNAP Application Assistance Program on behalf of our 21 member food banks and provides contract oversight, quality assurance, technical assistance, program evaluation, and comprehensive training to strengthen food bank capacity to assist Texans in need.
This position is a unique opportunity to create a statewide targeted messaging campaign to increase Texas’s knowledge of SNAP and the application process. The Communications Coordinator will also work to advance Feeding Texas’s internal and external communications objectives.
The ideal candidate is self-starting, organized, creative, and customer-service oriented. Applicants should have very strong writing abilities, excellent digital communication skills, and a passion for food justice and connecting Texans experiencing hunger to the food and resources they need to thrive.
Job expectations for the Communications Coordinator include:
● Assist Communications Director in crafting a statewide targeted messaging plan to reach potential SNAP applicants
● Oversee implementation of SNAP targeted messaging strategy
● Manage and facilitate the creation of targeted messaging (written copy and creative for video, digital graphics, flyers and posters) in accordance with Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) requirements and timelines
● Collaborate with Social Service Outreach team, food bank partners, and HHSC on implementation and distribution of targeted messaging
● Centrally track and report on the distribution of messaging materials
● Write, post and edit content for Feeding Texas blogs and social media
● Manage lists of media contacts and influencers
● Track traditional and social media coverage and analyze trends
● Provide general support for the Communications Department
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience:
● Organizing and overseeing the creation of promotional materials and brand identity
● Managing projects and external vendors, preferably on a statewide level
● Monitoring, tracking, and reporting metrics of engagement--via online and traditional analytics
● Writing social media and other print and digital communications content
Applicants should also be committed to social and racial justice and health equity, with a belief that improving outcomes for all Texans--regardless of their race, place, or class--requires intersectional solutions that correct injustices and promote equity.
Compensation Coordinator salary range: $35,000 - $50,000 based on experience.
Feeding Texas offers a competitive benefits package. We strive to provide non-cash benefits that encourage a work-life balance and promote the physical, mental, and financial health of our employees and their families.
Please submit a one-page cover letter and resume to: [email protected]. Please include "Communications Coordinator" in the subject line.
Applications reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Anticipated March 2020 start date.
Feeding Texas is an Equal Opportunity employer that offers positions with varying skill levels and responsibilities that amplify our mission. We strongly encourage people with lived experiences of hunger and members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ identified people, gender-nonconforming people, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and people who speak a language in addition to English.
Feeding Texas is a statewide network of food banks leading a unified effort to end hunger in Texas. Together with our 21 member food banks, we strive to ensure adequate, nutritious food for all Texans, improve the health and financial stability of the communities we serve, and engage all stakeholders in advocating for hunger solutions. Join us!