Job Title: Chief Operations Officer
Reports To: President and Chief Executive Officer
Positions Supervised: Director of Programs, Director of Operations, Director of Product Sourcing
Salary Plan: Administration
Hours: As Required
• Provides strategic planning and overall management of the operational and programmatic activities to Mid-South Food Bank in support of established policies, goals and objectives
• Ensures that Food Bank activities and operations are in compliance with Feeding America, local, state and federal guidelines
• Lead the directors responsible for the daily operations of programs, product sourcing, warehousing and transportation
• Provides leadership to program initiatives, research, planning, evaluation and decision making
• Collaborate with the CEO and other C-suite members to develop and implement the strategy
• Build relationships with peer organizations nationally in order to share best practices for logistics
• Represents the Mid-South Food Bank as a senior leader to customers, donors, business partners, board members and the community
• Leads the organization in the absence of the President & CEO
• Four-year college degree in related field
• Minimum of five years of relevant leadership experience and demonstrated strategic planning expertise
• Knowledge of Safe Food Handling requirements, theories and practices preferred
• High level of analytical, data interpretation and problem-solving skills to achieve bottom line results
• Ability to handle details of specific duties while still developing and maintaining a broad perspective of the organization mission and goals
• Command Skills – Relishes leading; takes unpopular stands if necessary; encourages direct and tough debate but isn’t afraid to end it and move on; is looked to for direction in a crisis; faces adversity head on; energized by tough challenges.
• Conflict Management – Steps up to conflicts, seeing them as opportunities; reads situations quickly; good at focused listening; can hammer out tough agreements and settle disputes equitably; can find common ground and get cooperation with minimum noise.
• Customer Focus – Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
• Directing Others – Is good at establishing clear directions; sets stretching objectives; distributes the workload appropriately; lays out work in a well-planned and organized manner; maintains two-way dialogue with others on work and results; brings out the best in people; is a clear communicator.
• Functional / Technical Skills – Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
• Hiring and Staffing – Has a nose for talent; hires the best people available from inside or outside; is not afraid of selecting strong people; assembles talented staffs.
• Interpersonal Savvy – Relates well to all people, up, down, and sideways, inside and outside the organization; builds appropriate rapport; builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; can diffuse even high-tension situations comfortably.
• Managing and Measuring Work – Clearly assigns responsibility for tasks and decisions; sets clear objectives and measures; monitors process, progress, and results; designs feedback loops into work.
• Organizing – Can marshal resources (people, funding, material, support) to get things done; can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal; uses resources effectively and efficiently; arranges information and files in a useful manner.
Mid-South Food Bank (MSFB) was founded in 1981. A 501(c)(3) charitable organization, we are a member of Feeding America, the national network of food banks. We are a founding member of the Safety Net Collaborative.