The St Louis Area Foodbank has been growing steadily over the past 20 years and is now seeking to dramatically accelerate our growth and impact. We are looking for a mission-focused, seasoned, strategic, and process-minded leader with experience scaling an organization, leading an executive management team, and developing a performance culture among a group of diverse, talented individuals. The COO must be a leader who is able to help others at the St Louis Area Foodbank deliver measurable, cost-effective results that make the vision a reality. Importantly, the successful COO will have the skills, sensitivity, and personal confidence to tap into the power that each member of the team brings to this mission. This position will provide a pivotal leadership role within the organization; will focus on the day-to-day execution of the strategic goals and objectives, measuring the organizations’ progress against those goals; and will be responsible for developing and evaluating the organization’s capacity, processes, and infrastructure to deliver outstanding program services. While it is essential that the COO bring efficient and effective systems to increase the productivity of the organization, is it also critical that the team retain the creative spark that drives our vision, to create a stronger, healthier bi-state region, where no one goes to bed hungry. As part of the senior management team, the Chief Operations Officer is a member of the Executive Leadership team, manages a leadership team of four, and works with our Board of Directors, and reports to the President and CEO.
• Recruit, motivate and lead a high-performance management team whose responsibilities encompass operations, partner agency services, programs, food sourcing, facilities management, marketing and philanthropic giving initiatives.
• Oversee all planning, organization, operation and staffing of teams under their supervision as well as establish, evaluate and measure goal setting and attainment.
• Develop, implement and monitor creative operational strategies. Responsible for the measurement and effectiveness of all operational processes internal and external by ensuring the collection and preparation of statistical data capturing results and projecting future goals.
• Collaborate with the President and CEO and Executive Leadership to establish and accomplish annual goals and objectives as well as assess metrics and KPI’s to ensure we meet or exceed the goals and timelines of our strategic direction for the organization.
• Offer advice, guidance, and direction on business matters, including operational policies and procedures, new initiatives, and future strategic planning while fostering a success-oriented and accountable environment.
• Work collaboratively with Executive Leadership to oversee the development and implementation of plans for program and service expansion within the framework of strategic objectives.
• Engineer the alignment of people, processes, policies, and assets to obtain an optimal balance between efficiency, service provision and collaboration with member agencies and other partners in addressing hunger throughout the 26 counties we serve in Missouri and Illinois.
• Identify and drive change initiatives that improve operations workflow and productivity.
• Facilitate the horizontal integration of communications between Executive Leadership and departments to remove obstacles, improve responsiveness, and facilitate prompt decision making.
• Oversee research, analysis, trends and program evaluation of operations in support of strategic planning, and day-to-day problem solving. Implement and lead a continuous quality improvement process throughout all functional areas, focusing on systems/process improvement and growth. Promote regular and ongoing opportunities for staff to provide feedback on programs and operations by promoting an open-door policy.
• Partner with CEO and Human Resources in the design and implementation of strategies focused on recruitment, training and retention directed toward the development of a high performing team of leaders and managers while emphasizing the use of strategic analysis, planning and programming to build capacity.
• Serve as the Disaster Incident Commander, overseeing the planning and execution of disaster response operations and management of partner relationships.
• Participate in meetings and committees as appropriate with the Board of Directors.
• Comply with all SLAFB policies and procedures and serve as a role model for integrity and core values.
• Maintain professional, positive, and courteous manner.
• Perform other duties as assigned to meet company needs.
• Excellent written and oral communication, interpersonal, negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
• Minimum of 10 years senior leadership experience managing cross functional teams and generating superior outcomes with accountability for financial results, operations, programs/projects, customer service and staff development (experience outside not-for-profit will be considered).
• Ability to interface effectively with Board, Leadership Team, staff and network of agencies.
• Capable of managing multiple responsibilities simultaneously in fast-paced, growth environment.
• Strong quantitative, analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Possess confidence, strategic thinking and mission-driven assertiveness to promote positive, accountable work culture.
The St. Louis Area Foodbank offers a very competitive benefit package. Details will be provided at interview.
Please submit cover letter and resume to [email protected]