Food Bank of the Rockies is well positioned for a new Chief Development Officer to lead the organization’s fundraising. With a philanthropic budget of over $12 million (overall cash budget $20M; overall budget including in-kind >$100M), a strong and growing team, embarking on a new strategic plan an organizational re-branding, Food Bank of the Rockies is looking to deepen its community relationships and realize its fundraising potential.
The Chief Development Officer is responsible for leading and managing all fundraising and volunteer relations, effectively planning, developing, and implementing Food Bank of the Rockies’ fundraising strategy including identification, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship, recognition, and tracking of foundation, individual, corporate, and government gifts, donors, and prospects. The Chief Development Officer leads a department of 10+ to develop and realize organizational fundraising potential and engage a volunteer force of 23,000 annual volunteers and serves as a key leader in the organization of 100+ staff and across four distribution centers in Colorado and Wyoming.
• As a key member of Food Bank of the Rockies Leadership Team, partners with CEO and Board of Directors to establish and track against organizational key strategic objectives.
• Create and implement short- and long-term fundraising strategies and objectives. Develop and execute systems to successfully track against those objectives so that all team members have clarity regarding overall and individual goals.
• Develop and maintain a strong departmental culture of ‘managing by objective’ including a department-wide understanding of various success levers and measures.
• Lead the development and execution of annual fundraising budget with a strong working knowledge of ROIs on activities, efficiencies, and team engagement to meet goals.
• Develop and implement an ongoing process for prospect identification, research, cultivation, solicitation, gift acknowledgment, record keeping, ongoing communication, and recognition.
• Develop and manage a system of donor stewardship for foundations, corporations, and individuals, prioritizing personalized relationship building, retention, and revenue growth.
• Create and implement a robust planned giving program with short-term goals related to prospect identification, commitment, and stewardship.
• In partnership with the CEO, engage the Board of Directors in establishing, implementing, and tracking against board-specific donor stewardship and fundraising goals.
• Oversee or develop relevant materials for fund solicitation, including case statements, impact reports, and grant proposals.
• Serve as a key organizational leader, providing face-to-face presentations for employee groups, service organizations, religious groups, and others, as requested.
• Maintain an awareness of legislative or other external issues impacting philanthropic giving or hunger relief; serve as organizational leader in formulating responses.
• Develop and lead short-and long-term organizational strategies for direct mail campaigns including print, digital, segmentation of lists, and most effective opportunities for direct donor contact to complement direct mail strategies.
• Oversee and direct all financial donor acknowledgment procedures at all levels, including preparation and prompt acknowledgment of gifts and personalized correspondence as appropriate.
• Ensure maintenance of accurate and current donor records.
• Establish and maintain a working environment conducive to positive morale, individual style, quality, creativity, and teamwork.
• Act as a role model within and outside the Foodbank
• Other duties as assigned
Lead through influence; ability to prioritize and communicate with staff about key objectives necessary to achieve organizational goals.
Balanced strategic thinking and strong operator; highly results-oriented.
Innovative and forward-thinking; listens for emerging trends from staff and community; able to translate new ideas into action.
Excellent relationship building skills with the ability to communicate and work effectively with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders.
Strong business acumen and ability to contribute to strategy; use the understanding of key business goals and strategies to deliver on the mission.
A sense of humor and the personal qualities of integrity, entrepreneurial spirit, calm under fire, and commitment to striving for continuous improvement.
Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
Ability to delegate work assignments, providing authority to work independently and set expectations.
Ability to motivate others to perform well and accept feedback from others.
Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
Willingness to make decisions; exhibits sound and accurate judgment and makes timely decisions.
Ability to organize work, time and self.
Proven track record in exercising sound judgment and discretion.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and standard operating procedures.
Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups, managers, agencies, customers, and the general public.
Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to relate well to all levels of Food Bank of the Rockies, ability to build appropriate rapport, ability to build constructive and effective relationships.
Demonstrates group presentation skills and conducts productive meetings.
Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively coach and mentor team members; collaborate and build relationships, and leverage resources within the function and across the organization to achieve desired outcomes.
Ability to communicate the branded message internally (mission, vision, values).
Ability to read, write, speak and understand the English language fluently, and communicate verbally and in writing at a professional level
Strong technical skills with the ability to utilize various technology and learn new technology quickly.
To perform this job successfully, the individual should have advanced knowledge of the following computer software programs.
o Microsoft Office Suite – specifically Word and Excel.
o Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge
Education and Experience:
• College degree in a relevant field; or equivalent work experience with an advanced degree; or equivalent work experience
• Minimum 10 years of prior management experience
• Minimum 10 years’ experience in managing fundraising departments at large, complex organizations including deep knowledge of foundation, corporate, individual, and planned giving
• Demonstrated senior leadership with strategic and budget planning experience in complex organizations.
• Experience in writing, securing, and managing public and private grants.
• Bilingual (Spanish/English) a plus
Food Bank of the Rockies offers a competitive benefits package including health insurance, paid time off, paid holidays and a 401K plan.
Every one of our employees is a critical part of our success. Will you be the next one to join our team? Please visit foodbankrockies.org/apply and apply today.