Second Harvest Food Bank Helps over 35,000 individuals in need each month in San Joaquin and Stanislaus Counties!
Second Harvest Food Bank acquires and stores donated and purchased food and effectively organizes and delivers it to our partner agencies and program sites, where it is then prepared and distributed out to those in need.
Second Harvest Food Bank of San Joaquin and Stanislaus Co. is seeking a highly motivated leader to drive our mission to feed the hungry by acquiring and distributing food to people in need in the San Joaquin and Stanislaus County areas. The CEO position requires an inspired and innovative leader dedicated to the communities it serves as well as the diverse team it manages and supports in achieving the mission. The CEO is a full-time position located in Manteca, CA and reports to the Board of Directors. The successful candidate is responsible to lead all aspects of the food bank and work directly with the Board of Directors in all matters.
The CEO role is responsible to carry out the overall mission of the food bank and is responsible for the following efforts:
• Responsible for the leadership and direction of short and long term goals, collaborate with the Board to set the vision and participate in strategic planning for the entire organization; for implementation and monitoring of action plans, evaluation of results and succession planning.
• Responsible to champion and interpret the purpose of the organization to the public through all means of communication available to the organization; for maintaining effective client relations with other social service and professional groups in the community. This includes “hands-on” fundraising expertise and professional ability in face-to-face solicitation.
• Responsible to provide leadership and management to all direct reports and their staff with the purpose of developing the Second Harvest team to work collaboratively ensuring the SHFB team operates at peak performance. This includes the responsibility for staff recruitment, growth, development and retention by creating a positive work environment that rewards hard work and extraordinary achievement.
• Responsible for cultivating a strong and transparent working relationship with the SHFB Board, maintaining open communication regarding all areas of the business operations
• Responsible for meeting all appropriate legal requirements relative to the operation of the organization; including all public accountability at both state and federal levels including all Feeding America guidelines.
• Responsible for the preparation of the financial status and organizational budget for both operational and capital needs for issuance of all checks, vouchers and payments; for monitoring the financial operations of the organization. Authorized as the Officer of the Food Bank to negotiate, sign and execute contracts.
• Responsible for monitoring programs of food acquisition and distribution to meet community needs; for collaborative efforts with other similar organizations; for research of other unmet food needs in the organization's service area.
• Responsible for the security and maintenance of facilities and equipment for the successful operations of the organization.
• Reports to the Second Harvest Board of Directors and is responsible for all communications, training and development related to the Board of Directors. Meets with the board on a regular basis to ensure the strategic direction is being met through the operations and activities of the Second Harvest staff.
• Bachelor’s Degree is Required, Master’s Degree is a plus
• Minimum of 8 years’ experience in food banking, non-profit management or business management
• Minimum of 5 years supervisory, management, progressive executive experience
• Resident of the service territory, or willingness to relocate is required
Skills and Experience
• Excellent writing, communication, management and leadership skills
• Understanding and proven champion of Change Management is essential
• Organizational financial management, solid understanding of non-profit financials required
• Fundraising Experience and Background
• Strong Work Ethic with ability to make sound decisions in stressful conditions
• Ability to delegate work assignments
• Quality Management Experience to promote quality, accuracy and thoroughness of operations
• Develop coach and mentor subordinate staff
• Demonstrate strong skills in Problem Solving
• Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Dynamics
• Exceptional communication skills and ability to interact with clients and peers
• Critical thinking with exceptional problem solving skills, able to work independently and in team environments.
• Proactive, resourceful & highly motivated with the ability to work in high output environment
• Ability to balance multiple projects
• Coordinates training as needed
• Business Acumen
• Strategic Leadership
• Effective Communication
• Coaches and Develops Direct Reports
• Drives Vision and Purpose
• Situational Adaptability
• Organizational Savvy
Safety and Security Knowledge and Experience
• Ideal candidate would have food purchasing and distribution experience
• Ideal candidate would have Technology expertise for innovative future solutions
• Minimal travel requirements are included in this position within the geographical area
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
• The candidate must have the ability to sit, stand, and walk for extended periods of time, climb stairs, and lift or carry up to 40 pounds. They must be able to work in a warehouse/manufacturing setting.
• Frequent loud noise levels, working near moving mechanical moving parts and machinery. Infrequent work with: caustic/toxic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, outdoor conditions, extreme heat and cold.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
• This is a full –time Exempt position supporting a 24/7 Operation. Schedule will vary based on the operational and training needs.
• Travel (approximately 10%-20%)
Please submit your resume to Angela Mills-Dixon at [email protected]