December 2, 2013
After Thanksgiving, Black Friday, Small Business Saturday and Cyber Monday, Giving Tuesday is about driving awareness and support of causes during the holidays. While there are several causes that I care about, this time of year hunger-relief tops the list.
I give to Feeding America because I know the need is great. In our country, 1 in 6 people are food insecure. Each of us can do something to make a difference and together, we can help our neighbors in need put food on the table.
I also give to Feeding America because I work here; every day I see how dedicated our staff is to advancing our mission to end hunger in America. I know my coworkers work as hard as they can, to do as much as they can, to expand access to food for the 37 million Americans we serve — today and every day.
Why do you support hunger-relief? Let us know! You can participate in Giving Tuesday in three easy ways:
- Donate. For every dollar donated, Feeding America secures and distributes nine meals on behalf of local food banks. Today, you can make twice the impact thanks to a one-day matching grant from Unilever: $1 = 18 meals! To put this into perspective, a donation of $1 today is enough to provide a family of three with three wholesome meals a day for six days — a tremendous relief for our neighbors struggling with hunger this holiday season.
- Post an #unselfie (like I did!) and share why you support Feeding America today or every day. #unselfie 101
Join the Twitter chat on Tuesday, December 3, from 1:30 — 2:30 p.m. ET for the Unilever #BrightFuture party — RSVP to be eligible to win prizes.
- Take a selfie with a caption (or hold a card in your picture) to explain how or why you and/or your friends are giving this year
- Use hashtags #unselfie and #GivingTuesday
- Use our handle, @FeedingAmerica
- Share your #unselfie on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter or any social channel!
- Have any questions? Let me know in the comments below or on Twitter at @emileelee1
Ways to Give