December 31, 2013
As 2013 draws to a close, Feeding America would like to highlight the tremendous size and scope of our efforts to provide food and groceries to low-income families throughout our nation.
Here is a snapshot of what we accomplish together each and every week of the year:
- Volunteers contribute 163,000 hours, saving our network more than $1 million in labor costs.
- We rescue 22 million pounds of food from grocery store shelves, food that once would have ended up in landfills.
- A fleet of 2,449 trucks transports food more than 847,730 miles—34 times the circumference of the earth.
- We provide 19 million pounds of fresh produce to Americans in need.
- The food pantries and soup kitchens that we help stock distribute enough food to fill the equivalent of more than half a million shopping carts.
- Our network of 203 food banks distributes food and groceries to 61,000 food pantries, soup kitchens and shelters that help low-income Americans.
- We provide food to nearly 6 million people.
Thank you for your support of and engagement with Feeding America each and every week of the year! For a look at what we accomplished this year, please check out our 2013 Annual Report: Solving Hunger Together.