Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Develop, manage and execute an annual/long-range marketing and communication plan in partnership with development, operations and program departments to span across all communication media and target audiences, based upon specific performance goals. Analyze past performance of efforts applying insight to establish strategic direction for future efforts.
2. Develop and oversee approved communication line-items in annual budget.
3. Oversee client story-bank to include conducting interviews, photographing families and documenting their stories with respect and sensitivity for multi-use mediums, including but not limited to print publications, electronic publications and social media platforms. Recruit, train, assign and support Story Corps members to build story bank.
4. Supervise communications interns, volunteers/projects.
5. Develop social media strategies to support strategic plan and coordinate content and presence across all media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram) for appropriate posts/tweets.
6. In partnership with community engagement manager, craft content and enhance functionality of current website to support various site visitors.
7. Author all programmatic and organizational case statements in order to strengthen our brand and help co-workers tell the hunger, Great Plains Food Bank and client story.
8. In partnership with leadership team members, author all crisis communication statements to ensure consistent and concise message.
9. Coordinate all statewide media requests and serve as primary contact person. Prepare media advisories/releases, orchestrate/host statewide media events, manage relationships with traditional media sources, and pitch story ideas that support strategic plan. Collect, track and archive news articles.
10. Oversee all programmatic paid advertising and free public service announcement opportunities.
11. Arrange, coordinate and serve as spokesperson for all public presentations on behalf of the Great Plains Food Bank, which may include facility tours, community presentations, serving as a liaison to an event, or training a speaker’s bureau to present on our behalf.
12. Review and approve all educational and promotional materials for organizational and collaborative use to ensure compliance with Communications and Brand standards (bulletin inserts, corporate newsletters, programmatic materials, etc.). Support colleagues in crafting the message when and where appropriate.
13. In partnership with community engagement coordinator, design and produce collateral material that meets Communication and Brand standards.
14. Manage vendor contracts and project timelines to ensure quality, adherence to Communication and Brand Standards, and supports key messages.
15. Oversee the production of all print and digital publications (newsletters, annual report, research findings, etc.) in partnership with organization staff to include content development, design, production and distribution.
16. Ensure alignment with Feeding America to maximize exposure of national awareness initiatives.
17. Support the overall fundraising strategy for the organization (events, donor appreciation and engagement, etc.).
Education and Experience Bachelor’s Degree required in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Community Relations, Journalism or related field; and 3-5 years marketing, public relations, communications or related experience. Nonprofit experience preferred. Knowledge of graphic design programs a plus.
Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills demonstrating clarity and on-target messaging for a variety of audiences.
Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced environment with multi-faceted demands and deadlines.
Organized and detail oriented, yet flexible with an adaptable personal style.
Ability to work with minimal supervision using independent judgment for decision making, as well as work cooperatively with other organizational staff, volunteers, donors and clients.
Valid driver’s license and ability to travel statewide
Ability to shoot quality photographs and/or video using provided equipment
Strong belief in Great Plains Food Bank’s mission, vision and values.
Flexibility to attend events in evenings and/or on weekends.
Visit our website: www.greatplainsfoodbank.org
The purpose of this new position is to set, guide, and execute strategies for all communication, marketing, brand development and public relation activities of the Great Plains Food Bank. The person in this position will ensure consistent articulation of our mission, vision, values, programs, operations, key messages, and stories of those we serve across a variety of audiences statewide in order to broaden education and awareness, deepen partner engagement, and position our organization as the identified expert in hunger-relief efforts across North Dakota and Clay County, Minnesota.