|Food Bank Name
||Capital Area Food Bank
||November 28, 2016
||Events Specialist position available in Washington, DC.
• Set goals for event attendance, revenue, and other outcomes in coordination with Development officers and other team members as appropriate
• Create, communicate, and manage to project timelines
• Liaise with and manage event committees for food-bank signature events (Empty Bowls and Blue Jeans Ball)
• Manage event budgets, providing careful oversight of expenses and tracking funds raised
• Ensure event participant data is entered in the food bank’s donor management system in a routine and timely fashion
• Working with Marketing and Communication team members, inform the development and execution of event promotion and attendee follow-up plans
• Coordinate and negotiate with event vendors and consultants
• Work with other members of the Marketing and Communications team to ensure appropriate collateral and signage for events
• Coordinate across all necessary CAFB departments to plan event elements, working to minimize impact on the food bank’s operations.
• Provide support in securing any needed permits, licenses, or contracts for events
• Oversee day-of event logistics
• Collect data and prepare reporting on net proceeds, costs, impact, and effectiveness of events
• Assess all events, internal and external, for return on investment of time, funds, and other resources.
• Working with Marketing Director and CAFB volunteer team, determine event staffing needs and create plan for utilization of CAFB staff and/or external volunteers.
• Oversee planning for CAFB presence at United Way/CFC events, fairs, presentations, etc.
• Support planning and management of celebration and recognition events for CAFB as needed
• Other duties as assigned.
• 4-year degree in related field
• 3-5 years’ experience managing events
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Proficient in Excel, Word, Power Point and Outlook Other Skills /Abilities:
• Commitment to understanding and supporting CAFB’s mission, and an ability to build and run events that highlight the organization’s work.
• Exceptional organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects and priorities at once, often with tight deadlines
• Systems-oriented, with an eye towards maximizing efficiency
• Strong initiative and a desire to move work forward
• Superior communication skills, both written and oral
• Ability to work with others across the organization to organize logistics and solve problems
• High attention to detail
• Experience planning and running events for audiences of 200+
• Confidence negotiating with and managing vendors
• Experience overseeing budgets
• Ability to work in a diverse environment (e.g., populations, community, government and politicians)
• Experience with Salesforce, Marketing Cloud, and Click & Pledge highly desirable Physical requirements:
• Physical activities involve sitting for 80% of the work day.
• Occasionally lifts office supplies up to 20 pounds.
• Ability to travel to sites, as needed, throughout the metropolitan area. Work Environment:
• Normal business office, with frequent tight deadlines
• Work may take place in the food bank’s warehouse distribution center, or at community organizations
• Regular work hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 5:00pm; with weekends or extended hours for special events.
Medical / Vision Insurance Dental Insurance Vacation - 10 Days Sick - 10 Days Personal Leave - 3 Days 401k Retirement Plan Basic (& Voluntary) Life, AD&D, STD and LTD Insurance Flexible Spending Accounts (Medical & Dependent Care) Commuter / Transit Pre-Tax Program Employee Assistance Program Credit Union Afflac Supplemental Insurance 11 Observed Holidays New Year’s Day Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Birthday President’s Day Emancipation Day Memorial Day Independence Day Labor Day Columbus Day Thanksgiving Day Friday after Thanksgiving (in lieu of Veteran’s Day) Christmas Day
||December 23, 2016
|How to Apply
Online portal: CAPITALAREAFOODBANK.appone.com
|About the Organization
The Capital Area Food Bank is the largest organization in the Washington metro area working to solve hunger and its companion problems: chronic undernutrition, heart disease, and obesity. By partnering with 444 community organizations in DC, MD, and VA, as well as delivering food directly into hard to reach areas, the CAFB is helping 540,000 people each year get access to good, healthy food. That’s 12% of our region’s mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, sisters, brothers, and grandparents.
Department: Marketing and Communications
Reports To: Director of Marketing
The Events Specialist is responsible for exposing new people to CAFB’s mission and work through dynamic and engaging events, with an eye towards turning them into long-term supporters. In leading the CAFB’s event initiatives, the position is responsible for planning and execution of both CAFB-hosted signature events (such as its spring gala fundraiser the Blue Jeans Ball and its fall Empty Bowls “friend-raiser” series) and CAFB presence at 10-15 community events (such as local festivals, large volunteer events, etc.).