|Food Bank Name
||Community Food Bank of New Jersey
||July 5, 2017
||Chief Operating Officer
||Chief Operating Officer position available in Hillside, NJ
- Provide day-to-day leadership and management to a service delivery organization in line with the CFBNJ core values and mission. Direct reports include: Finance, Human Resources, IT, Operations, all Programs and customer service.
- Be responsible for driving the company to achieve, meet or surpass organizational goals and business objectives.
- Be responsible for the measurement and effectiveness of all internal processes and provide timely, accurate and complete reports on the operating condition of the organization.
- Collaborate with the management team to develop and implement plans for the operational infrastructure of systems, processes, and personnel designed to accommodate the rapid growth objectives of the organization.
- Participate in developing and implementing a strategic plan that supports the organization’s vision and goals; translate the strategic plan to staff to ensure support; and modify the plan in response to changing internal and external factors.
- Motivate and lead a high performance management team; attract, recruit and retain required members of the executive team not currently in place; provide mentoring as a cornerstone to the management career development program.
- Act as lead "client-care officer" through direct contact with every client and partner.
- Assist in fundraising strategy and activities to enable the organization to grow.
- Lead the performance management process that measures and evaluates progress against goals. Manage employee performance by establishing clear goals and expectations, tracking progress against the goals, ensuring timely feedback, and addressing performance problems and issues promptly.
- Participate with President and other key leadership team members in setting policies and determining strategies to meet or exceed revenue and CFBNJ goals.
- Build and maintain a departmental structure, operating standards and practices that are responsive and adaptable to evolving business needs.
- Ensure continuous improvement of customer satisfaction through programs to reduce deviations, provide for on-time delivery, and meet customer quality and cost expectations.
- The COO should likely have an MBA or a Master’s degree and at least fifteen years of experience in establishing operational excellence. Experience as a COO is preferred.
- Proven logistics/distribution success in a time-sensitive environment. Ability to understand the complexity involved in highly integrated distribution models, including working with outside vendors and other outsourced relationships.
- Motivated, driven, self-confident and have proven leadership and a solid track record/ accomplishments in changing environments.
- Food Banking experience is highly preferred, although not essential.
- Strong financial and business acumen.
- Strong quantitative, analytical, and problem solving skills with knowledge of performance/ operation metrics.
- Innovate, creative and organized.
Qualities that match the culture of CFBNJ:
- Commitment to and passion for the mission of the Community Food Bank of New Jersey.
- A penchant for being proactive and a “sensible risk taker” with an intelligent point of view.
- Ability to anticipate the implications and consequences of situations and taking appropriate action to be prepared for possible contingencies.
- Ability to attract, develop, and retain talented individuals; create a learning environment that ensures staff realize their highest potential — allowing the organization as a whole to meet future challenges.
- Ability to move people from compliance to commitment.
- Ability to anticipate and plan for changes to current organizational policies, practices, systems, etc. needed to move in new strategic directions and to ensure long-term business viability.
||September 13, 2017
|How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to CFBNJ@drgnyc.com
|About the Organization
Since its grassroots beginnings in 1975, the Community FoodBank of New Jersey (CFBNJ) has been dedicated to fighting hunger and poverty. Today, CFBNJ partners with more than 1,200 nonprofit programs that serve millions of meals across 17 of New Jersey’s 21 counties. Already one of the largest food banks in the country, this dynamic organization plan to continue growth of distribution for the foreseeable future. On track to deliver 50 million pounds of food and groceries this year, CFBNJ expects 80 million pounds by 2020. In addition to its Feeding Programs, CFBNJ also provides Nutrition Education, SNAP Outreach, and tax preparation assistance. In 2000, CFBNJ created the Food Service Training Academy (FSTA), a culinary job-training program that provides graduates with marketable skills. Since its inception, the FSTA has graduated more than 1,000 students, with an average job-placement rate of 90 percent. The Community FoodBank of New Jersey has a total annual budget of $100M (with an operating budget of $19M) and has a full time staff of 185. It is a member of Feeding America, the nation’s largest network of food banks, as well as the New Jersey Federation of Food Banks. For more information, please visit www.cfbnj.org/.
The Community FoodBank of New Jersey is hiring a Chief Operating Officer (COO), who will work in close support of the President and CEO and will be responsible for the general management of day-to-day operations of the Foodbank. The COO will have direct responsibility for providing leadership and management of: operations; warehouse; food sourcing; customer service/ agency relations; finance and accounting; IT and HR and instituting systems that provide effective internal management.
This position has been created to drive customer satisfaction while maintaining a reasonable cost structure and fulfilling CFBNJ’s mission of feeding the hungry. Outstanding candidates for this position will have proven experience working in a fast-paced environment and dealing with all the complexities that come with running a Food Bank. This will include proficiency in warehouse operations, distribution, logistics, systems, transportation, and food safety. She/he should have the ability to demonstrate a high level of integrity, strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build consensus with a strong emphasis on responsibility and accountability.