|Food Bank Name
||Feeding America San Diego
San Diego, CA
||February 21, 2017
||Food Sourcing Manager
||Food Sourcing Manager position available in San Diego, CA.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to successfully perform each essential duty, with or without reasonable accommodation. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The following duties and responsibilities are those considered to be essential but do not represent all job functions that may be required to be performed by this position. Other comparable duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed. Evening and weekend work required as determined by operational needs or as assigned.
Donor Relationship Management
- Conduct face-to-face meetings and presentations as well as cold calls with current, lapsed, and prospective food donors, vendors, and organizational partners.
- Provide professional and responsive customer service to all food industry partners, donors, and co-workers.
- Attend food industry events including trade shows, association meetings, and network conferences as required.
- Develop and report on a yearly work plan for the food sourcing department based on strategic planning that aligns the department’s budget/goals with both internal and external programs. The work plans will include donor recognition activities, performance metrics, and annual outcomes/goals.
- Mentor, teach and train food sourcing staff with a commitment to excellence regarding customer service, enhanced knowledge of food sourcing processes in the spirit of continuous improvement.
- Attend food safety classes and receive ServSafe certification. Keep certification current.
- Complete Certified in Food Resources training and Choice system training.
- Oversee the accurate and timely tracking of all purchase orders, budget and expense logs, Receiving Order Detail Sheets, weekly forecast of incoming product and any other administrative processes.
- Ensure timely completion and submission of time sheets for all staff and deliver time records to the FSD administrative office.
- Coordinate cost effective logistics regarding both local and national product donation.
Strategic Department Development
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams regarding incoming product, internal and external needs and donor recognition.
- Maintain regular communication with Feeding America’s national product sourcing department and other member food banks within the Feeding America Network. Take part in networking opportunities as appropriate.
- Collaborate with internal departments to maximize donation opportunities, including regular strategy meetings with operations and programs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required: A.A. degree from an accredited college with concentration of course work in Business Management, Supply Chain Management, Agricultural Business, Receiving & Distribution services or comparable course of study, and four years’ experience supervising the work of others in project management, customer service, logistics planning, or sales.
Preferred: B.A. degree from an accredited college or university in Business Management, or Supply Chain Management, or Agricultural Business field and a minimum of 4 years’ experience in a procurement role with supervisory responsibility. Experience in agricultural industry, food distribution programs and/ or non-profit organizations is highly desirable. Any combination of educational and work experience that would be equivalent to the stated minimum requirements would qualify a candidate for consideration of this position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Commitment to FSD’s mission
- Demonstrated success developing cross functional processes
- Demonstrated success in a purchasing function
- Demonstrated ability to build professional network and sustain relationships
- Experience with inventory systems (experience with Microsoft NAV a plus)
- Experience with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software a plus
- Commitment to ethics in purchasing practices
- Superior presentation and communication skills
- Proven success developing a winning team
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong written, analytical, and organizational skills
- Ability to travel.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Computer literate and able to learn new technology at a fast pace
- High level of personal and professional integrity
- Certification in food safety and thorough knowledge of safety and regulatory compliance issues
- Ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and beliefs
- Ability to work occasional nights and weekends as needed
- Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle
- General knowledge of nonprofit organizational practices
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Highly detail oriented
||April 1, 2017
|How to Apply
Submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the position in the subject line.
|About the Organization
Founded in 2007, Feeding San Diego is the leading hunger-relief organization in San Diego County. The non-profit organization, funded by philanthropic and community support, is devoted to leading our community in the fight against hunger by efficiently providing access to food and nutritious meals. We fight hunger locally through partnerships with purpose, working hand-in-hand with partner agencies, local school districts, corporate partners and a network of volunteers to serve 60,000 children, families and seniors in need each week.
Under the direction of the Director of Operations, the Food Sourcing Manager is a key member of the operations team at Feeding San Diego (FSD). This position is primarily responsible for securing over 21 million pounds of food per year to meet our mission and annual goals. The Food Sourcing Manager will develop, implement, and track sourcing of all food and non-food product in collaboration with local donors, local retail stores, Feeding America’s donation allocation system, California Association of Food Banks (CAFB) Farm to Families produce program, gleaning groups, and food vendors while adhering to FSD’s budget and values, nutrition policy, business rules, and food safety programs.
The Food Sourcing Manager will be responsible for researching, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding new and current food donor and food vendor relationships in pursuit of our mission. This position also requires proactive oversight of inventory levels to ensure a well-coordinated product mix available to Distribution Partners through a variety of channels (donated or purchased product). Prior experience in procurement and proven success in process improvement across functional teams would support success in this position.
The Food Sourcing Manager will be tasked with supervising a dynamic Food Sourcing Team that inspires confidence throughout the rest of the supply chain. In addition to interaction with local and national donors and vendors, the position will work closely with all departments in the organization, including Development, Volunteer, Inventory Control, Programs, Distribution, and Finance. The Food Sourcing Manager will oversee 3 direct reports and report progress to goal regularly to executive management.